I Forge Iron

440 stainless?

junker

440 is a ss but there are better, research 440, 440a and 440c. I recently sharpend two 440 knives for a neightbor and then had a chance to use them for skinning they were not worth using for that task. They dulled wayy too fast. I finished the task with my small pocket knife, it has a 154cpm blade. I have not sharpened it since and use it daily.

Back in the 60's when Old timer kitchen knives were still made in the USA out of carbon steel, most of the trapper's and deer hunters I knew in Ohio used them for skinning.

The were sharp to start kept an edge, and cheap enough to carry two, or keep two on hand when shucking muskrats for their skins. I helped a neighbor boy down the road with skinning in exchange for rides to town.

I still prefer my carbon steel Case hunter knife to all others I've tried.

You never stated what kind of sword? a Rapier or Foil? never. Type X viking broadsword? Maybe as a wall hanger, Don't even think about a long Claymore in 440.

At risk of annoying those that think otherwise 440 is not very good for swords, except for wall hangers as its too Brittle for that large of a blade. I have made 1 from 440c (rebuilt actually) and had to really lower the hardness to get any realistic flex, and would never advise someone use it for anything except to hang on a wall, as this one was intended

There are many better steels available and a simple 1050 is great for most styles.

As far as I know it is just the wallhanger type. It's about 24 inches and no clue what type it is... it kust looks like something someone dreamed up one day... I was just wondering because it's pretty braud and I was wondering if I could grind of the fantasy looking cut outs and reforge it into a double edged shortsword.