I Forge Iron

can I repair my anvil?

I just bought 2 anvils, a vulcan 50 lbs and a 110 lbs. The 50 pounder looks like the face has minor rust pits. Do I just wear it down, or does it really affect the project metal. It is totally flat.
My other anvil is in rougher shape. a huge gouge out of the face, perpendicular almost across the whole width. Would this be a project I could tackle, being that i have a welder and a grinder? Is just best to go to a machine shop and have them built it up and mill it?

Are they both Vulcans? Remember that Vulcans have a cast iron body and so any welding that goes through the face into the body will need to be done using cast iron techniques (Ni for example) before you can overlay it with regular face welding material. Preheat and post heat mandatory!

Usually we advise not to repair but use it and learn to love the "built-in face swage"

I just bought 2 anvils, a vulcan 50 lbs and a 110 lbs. The 50 pounder looks like the face has minor rust pits. Do I just wear it down, or does it really affect the project metal. It is totally flat.
My other anvil is in rougher shape. a huge gouge out of the face, perpendicular almost across the whole width. Would this be a project I could tackle, being that i have a welder and a grinder? Is just best to go to a machine shop and have them built it up and mill it?

Really, I wouldn't bother trying to repair either anvil. Just use each one for the work that is suited for,

Use the 110 for heavy hitting and shaping while avoiding the bad spot.

Us the small anvil for finishing work. They can each have a place in your shop. I have a couple of rail road anvils that I use for particuliar features and a solid block that I use for heavy hitting.

Most home welders don't have the kind of duty cycle at the currents need to weld on anvils that makes doing with home equipment reasonable. A big problem becomes keeping the anvil hot while the welder cools.