I Forge Iron

Remove hairdryer heat coil

Elendil

I've searched the net through and through and cannot find a tutorial on how to remove the heating coil and still have a functioning hair dryer. I have a powerful one, but for any decent forge time i need it to not over heat. Also I don't have very much money so a "professional" blower is not feasible at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

As with any electrical device, just cutting the wires is only half the job, you MUST insulate the cut wires !! This is so there is NO CHANCE of hot (energized) wires coming in contact with anything.

Each device is a bit different, some have a hi/lo/no heat switch. Some are crudely simple, and others have fail safe systems to shut the unit off if certain things happen. I am not an electrician and would not feel comfortable giving advice on how to modifying your device across the internet.

I think I would be going to a car wreckers and trying to get a heater fan and set that up. I had a play with hair dryers and could not get them to work without the heating element. Its not as simple as it would appear.

Play safe and use a 12V fan from the wreckers. Can't hurt yourself with these.

Well saving up for a "professional" hand blower so I have one when i make my long running forge. Using a modified leaf blower( less power and a potentiometer to i can chage the speed. it controls the base on a 2N3055 transistor on the positive going to the motor. If anyone wants to see how I did it send me a PM and i'll tell you) thank you for help.

I know a bit about electronics and wirinig up motors and I am even fairly darn good with a soldering iron. I even once built a small hand held computer from scratch. Yet I took apart a hair dryer and there were so many wires going to so many different things I couldn't figure out what went were especially without a digital multimeter. So you know what I did hehe.. I just bought a CVS Brand Turbo 1875 Hair dryer. Turbo 1875 You can get these just about anywhere. They have a high/low switch, and they also have a Cool/Warm/Hot switch. So I just run my coal forge with this hair dryer in the low or high position on cool. It was much easier then trying to spend a day reinventing a hair dryer. I'm sure you can still get this model or its similar at CVS, Walmart, Target, or even used on craigslist for 10-15$. Easy fix.

I once used a small vacuum cleaner I paid $3 for at the fleamarket as it didn't have the bag any more---just a round pipe spewing air!

It was a universal motor so I could use a simple rheostat to control the speed (also from the fleamarket for US$1). I checked the brushes before buyingand they were great. Used it for several years on my billet welding forge.

I have worked on hairdryers before they can be a bit tricky. If you have your heart set on using it take it to a appliance repair place. And maybe for a no charge or little charge ask first.

Or just get in it and just cut the coils out and cap them good. Then plug it in into an outlet that is controled by a wall switch with the power off at the outlet trun it on put it on somthing that won't catch fire and stand by with
a fire extingusher safty first and trun it on by the wall switch if it run for maybe three minute your good to go.

but Ithink it best to take it to the shop

Country Boy