I Forge Iron

Feather Pattern

nonjic

Been playing about with this pattern for a while now, and have finally got a blade im happy with! This is a good example of how you can forge the same pattern twice, and it comes out completely different! both are 15n20 & 1080.

The smaller one is defect free, it has a much more interesting pattern as the forging did not go as smoothly as the big 'un (1st pic). Unfortunately the larger blade opened up a touch on the center weld when I H.T'ed it. Basically worked the billet to cold forging to shape.

and because its a blacksmiths forum a little minature blacksmiths knife, to show I can forge a little bit (other than pattern welding) , 'firestorm' Damascus!

14790.attach

14791.attach

14792.attach

14793.attach

lots of nylons died to make that sofa throw ! :)

Both patterns are developmets of the crushed 'w' pattern, the feather pattern is an absolute sod to forge defect free as you basically bang a very blunt hotcut through the middle of an already fragile cube of steel, then reweld it, then draw it out against the welds!

The firestorm pattern is twisted 'w's , the pattern hides in the middle 3rd of the billet only.

Ill do some sketchs of the pattern development when I get some spare time if you like.

Sounds like a tough one indeed. It's a lovely pattern for the effort though.

Yes please, I would appreciate some sketches.

Blade making isn't my thing but pattern welding has applications I'd like to experiment with. Then again, every once in a while I get a hankering to make something that will slice me horribly if I don't pay attention.

Thanks.

Frosty

John if you can join us this evening on knife chat I will be refering to your pictures of how to plan a blade shape that is easy to fit a guard on and how with a little foresight and care the blade is REady for fitting. This is an extremely well done blade and you must be real proud.

The thing Ive found with pattern welding is it does not actually require much talent. Ive found it just helps to be a 'quick learner' and have a good memory.

Basically treat it like any other process your trying to perfect. Eliminate as many variables as possible. When somthing goes wrong with a billet ask yourself why, then make sure it does not happen again. The feather billets above are a case in hand, top one split open, why? worked it to cold. Worked the next one hotter and it held together! Over time you just eliminate lots of ways of screwing up a billet and you have more consistency.

I did a couple of billets with twists in, wasnt to happy with the results, really thought about getting the twists more even and the next time I tried got a good un :D

14794.attach

14795.attach