I Forge Iron

ht'ing a seax

Hello:

You may end up with a curve in the blade..that is trhe most common thing that could happen..other than that...there are no real indications as to how these were heat treated "way back when"... I say it's your call...see what happens...give it a shot...

JPH

ohh right i forgot about how the katana curves in the quench! but i think a counter curve pre quench will solve that. and i will try to post pics (code for i lost my camera but may find it soon) and my work is ugly and somewhat embarassing. on another note here is my recipe for the clay mix: high temp pottery clay+clean sand (cut costs:D) and water. that sound ok? i have had weak succes with it as i used 5160. the high temp clay fires at 2000 degrees farenheit. the lower temp caly that may or may not be mixed in it fires at 1450 degrees faenheit. i get my clay from cleaning up my art class after school or in lunch and end up talking to the art teacher about how the clay fires and such.

Edited by fisher_norris
explain conflicting info

I note that many references state that the japanese blades are straight or nearly straight until quenched.

Post pics however you do it!!!!!!

There is a video on Youtube some where that shows the quenching process on a katana, strait to curved. Pretty cool looking. I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Lots of western blades with hamon out there theses days including seaxes.

How much it will curve is based on so many different factors it's probably best to say it's indeterminate. Experiment to see what your methods generally produce and work from there---and some pieces will still go wild or refrain from doing so on you!

that is very true. i wil very gently curve it forward. if it curves forward oh well. i find the gentle curve quite nice. but if it fails i will try a new curve with the same one and get it just right. i will take some notes and post them here. thanks for the posts and ideas. it is possible to get a small hammon on 5160? i have had trouble in the past doing this so i just would like to know.

well i tried making a seax yesterday. i finally got my coal to the temp i wanted. (i could explain my trick but seing as i am the newer one i won't) i melted, not burned melted the tang off. it was pretty cool i will try to find the melty puddle in my fire when it is finally cool. so note to self 2min in my fire is too long. but i did get a decent kitchen knife made that day. so i will try again to morrow or sunday. thanks for the explaination on hammons.