I Forge Iron

Just Makin' A Few Tongs

ApprenticeMan: Well, you remember that 100 screw press I posted............

Jmercier: Actually I can put something like a 2" coil a couple inches long in and heat just about anything I want up to 1-3/4 and just move it in and out of the coil to get a longer heat.

Arbalist: 'Bout 35 cents per hour on what you're seein', sometime I can actually use as much as $2.00 per day, usually less. Adds $35.00 - 40.00 to my monthly bill. Used to use around $300.00 per month in propane. My electricity is only 4.5 cents per KWH here. Some people pay 2 - 3 times that. Course it's only drawing appreicable current when it's heating a part, so working at the anvil it might actually be heating less than 26.324% of the time.

Edited by nakedanvil

Thanks guys-
I went and did a little tour on the internet supper hyway. I like that technology!!! Can anyone give me a not so simple explanation on how it works? From what I gather, there is a current run through the copper pipe at a super high frequency. Is it like a microwave?
Now if only I could afford one:(

Induction Heating

No, induction heating is quite different than a microwave. A microwave uses standing waves at 2.45 gigahertz, which will couple energy efficiently into things containing water or fats. The induction heating operates at a few hundred kilohertz, and does not create much of a standing or traveling wave. It couples energy efficiently into conductive things (metals) by inducing circulating eddy currents into the object being heated. Grant's induction heater operates in the region of 200-400 kHz, if I recall correctly, although there is nothing critical about the exact number from the point of view of the metal being heated.

There are also induction heaters which are designed to operate at much lower frequencies with ferrous metals only (read magnetic), and couple energy efficiently up to the Curie temperature . These work by inducing hysteresis losses into the magnetic work piece. Induction heating of a ferrous work piece results from the combination of hysteresis loss and the heating caused by circulating currents in the work piece.

An electric current has a magnetic 'current' associated with it. ie electromagnets. when the electric part reverses so does the magnetic, this creates heat. In an induction forge that is a desirable characteristic, not so much in a transformer.

I just got back from an event, and it was good to see that Grant Sarver was on this sight. He wasn't kidding when he said those were just a "few tongs". He and his wife make them in his shop at their house. He has come up with the largest selection of tongs at the best price and quality of any other tong maker that I've seen out there. He also makes many other blacksmithing products. I've only ran across Grant a few times at different events, but I noticed his work immediately and there was more every time I saw him. I think he's a genius.
I'm glad to see you here on this sight Grant!