I Forge Iron

Well, THAT was an interesting discussion!

Leland

Ya meet all kinds of people in a blacksmith shop, including the crew of academics I ran into yesterday. My own fault, I suppose, for using the word "epistemological," but the next thing I knew I was knee-deep in a conversation about the nature of "rationality."

Turns out (according to one new smith) that rationality can't be defined but is recognisable when seen. My response, naturally, was that rationality is thus the same as obscenity.

Discussion of rationality...among a bunch of people who'd lit a fire on an 80 degree day. Go figure.

And how's YOUR Memorial Day weekend going?

Leland

Edited by Leland

That sounds like an interesting conversation so long as it didn't devolve into semantics. I know too many "intellectuals" who go straight to semantics if they can't back an argument. Boring from there on out.

So far garage sales have been poor, Deb's found plenty that strikes her fancy but in three days all I've found is a tortilla press and a softball bat. The bat will make a couple mallets for straightening iron work and the tortilla press will make . . . tortillas.

I think I'll stay home tomorrow and work on the LG.

Frosty

Did turn out to be an interesting and thought-provoking conversation; newbie smith 1 (the guy who claimed that rationality could not be defined, only recognised) brought nothing to the table but arbitrary (and thus useless) observation/pontification.

Newbie smiths 2 & 3 (with philosophy backgrounds) noted that rationality, while lacking a consensus view, classically consists of beliefs or views based on true information.

Yours truly, being an Educated Donkey, then asked whether an imaginary purple beach ball (which everyone could instantly envision) was an example of rationality or irrationality. Theoretical examples could be multiplied, and perhaps the conversation will continue.

On a tortilla note, I got a great tip from my neighbour, who suggested adding plain yogurt to the dough. Makes the softest, fluffiest tortillas I've ever had.

Ah yes, the arbitrary black and white approach often devolves into semantic drivel. I'm glad there were some folk around able to debate it intelligently, I hope new smith #1 learned a tick or two.

I've never heard of putting yogurt in tortilla dough but will give it a shot. When I was doing my obligatory "move to Alaska and live in a cabin in the woods" year we used to make tortillas and toast them on the wood heat stove. They made excellent and easy to make munchies for long dark cold nights.

Richard:

The tortilla press is for rational blacksmith rations, it won't be as fast as using dies under the LG but should provide a little thicker snack. Are not so rash rations more rational or less? Hmmmm? My rash ration rationale says yes they are but my notion of rational is a rash hash of a mish mash.

Frosty

Egads man, I got a cramp in my tongue just trying to pronounce what you just wrote, as to my holiday, we had 110 people show up, and 2 live bands, more food than an army could eat, and it was mostly all cleaned up before the last smore eaten folks left!!