I Forge Iron

Punch Press

jbl

jbl have you worked with punch presses before? if not be real careful i have been reading up on them and looking at useing them but capacity is critical if you overload one it will break ... that is why industry has convirted to hydraulic ... that and once started they cant be stopped imediately and usually have to cycle at least once ... can be problem if something is in press that isnt supposed to be...if you have worked with them and know theyre limitations they can be exelent machines and produce a lot of product ....good luck ...

Pull the flywheel and crank and install a hydraulic cylinder. It's an easy conversion. Way more controllable and safer. I personally know a guy who lost 3 fingers to a punch press that double tapped, and if you spend any time around guys who used to run them they all have a similar story.

Punch presses are for a particular type of work, done cold. Not a forging press at all. The safety concerns are many, not least many of the older presses use a mechanical sripper clutch, that depends on a spring, and proper lube, and lack of wear to allow th press to single stroke. The stripper clutch machines have been outlawed by OSHA, as they double, triple and hang and run continous.

The only use in forging would be as Judson suggests, convert to a hydraulic press.

Ptree who is an industrial safety guy in a factory with perhaps a hundred punch presses.

I've used punch presses for many years in both cold and hot applications. Many of the warnings are quite true. I think they have their place, but you need to understand their uses and limitations. They are useless for general forging. They can be set up for specific operations. One that hasn't been mentioned is puncing holes! Cold and hot. Hot just increases the capacity. I've set them up for swaging operations where there is just a small reduction. I currently use one for a pointing operation. The point dies are well relieved and the work is fed in a little at a time and turned 90 degrees with each blow. I used to have dedicated machines with "V" dies for cutting and putting the bevel on chisels after forging.

They are usually availible cheap and have a great deal of power in a package. Even O.S.H.A. dosen't require the same precautions when doing hot work on them. They understand you're not reaching into the work area, hot work is usually long or held with tongs. Not for everyone.