I Forge Iron

Cheap and durable flap disc

Is there such a thing as cheap and durable in flap discs? I'm short on cash and I'm looking for a cheap flap disc that is durable for its price. I've seen some like this Smith & ARROW on ebay. They claim that they have a 100% positive feedback on all 6000 sales but I need more comments from you guys. Holler at me! Thanks

Link to an ebay store removed as advertising

Pick one..cheap....durable. For the answer to this you will need to do a bit of research. But some of those discs and keep a written log of how they workd vs price. Then buy a few of the cheapest you can find and do the same. Then buy one or two of the best you can find and do the same. With abrasives, every time I do this test I end up buying the best most expensive that I can find. An example: For my knife grinding belts I have bought belts for around a buck and completely wear them out in one knife. I now buy belts that I pay over eight bucks each for plus shipping and use a belt for 30 to 40 knives and then for grinding handle materials for a long time.. Do the math....and have fun.

Flap discs can save time, depending upon what you are doing, but they are not cheap. They are worth it if you need them. Sometimes the extra thick ones are a good investment as they may do more work before wearing out. I generaly prefer the Walter style (there is now a competitive cheaper version that seem to work about as well), because as the edge abrasive wears away, the plastic backing can be machined off and out of the way by holding the revolving wheel against a piece of metal. The best bet for economy is to skip the flap wheels, and instead use a series of other abrasives, just to their most economical point. For instance, in dressing a weld, start with a hard grinding disc and remove most of the weld, especialy the amount above the surface. Grind until you just barely start to scatch the surface. Then switch to a 60 or 80 grit sanding disc on a flexible backer, and finaly 120 or 150. this will give simmilar results to flap wheels, yet consume many less dollars worth of consumables. For some classes of shaping and edge of the wheel work, however, flap wheels are really the way to go.

The ones the last the best for me are the DeWalt ones. I use a LOT of 7 inch flap disks and have tried others, but always go back to the DeWalt ones. The farm supply store here in town carries them and I can usually pick them up for under $10 each

Is there such a thing as cheap and durable in flap discs? I'm short on cash and I'm looking for a cheap flap disc that is durable for its price. I've seen some like this Smith & ARROW on ebay. They claim that they have a 100% positive feedback on all 6000 sales but I need more comments from you guys. Holler at me! Thanks

where are you located ??

Also I have noticed that using a graduated system of finishing is the best.

Wirebrush scale off, grind with a hard wheel, and use progressive grits to achieve the final finish. (start with lower grit or file, and work down to the higher grits)

As far as which to buy, the best you can afford.

I've found the cheap flap discs are a waste of $$ also making sure to not catch and sharp edges really helps the life of the flap disc. Someone pointed out to me that Valley National Gas has a semi annual sale of flap discs buy 25 discs and get a Metabo grinder free. However your buying SAIT discs at $8 each.

If I am unable to get ANYTHING else I buy HF flap disks I don't expect long life or even super performance , But they serve until I can get to my welding supply and get the good ones. No way I know of to get both cheap and quality, that is a basic oxymoron.

Finnr

Excuse my ignorance but what is the benefit of a flap disc over other kinds? Does it have a particular purpose? I have looked at the pictures on various sites but have been unable to figure out why I would use one over a regular disc.

I've used abrasives from Klingspor since 1996. They are a great company. Most of their supply is made in Germany. They ship to your door very quickly and there is no minimum order. I've used Norton, Sait, Black and Decker and HF and stuff from TSC plus many other brands trying to find just the right combination of value for cost. Klingspor has come out on top every time. I'd go with the grinding rocks for welds then finish with the fiber discs.

Happy Grinding