I Forge Iron

First Public Demo!

Junksmith

I've waited so long to be able to do this. I was a "sideshow" in a local park coupled with the arrival of the annual Wagon Train. This collection of conestoga wagons makes a passes through our area (Boonsboro, MD) as kind of a roving living history display. Not sure where they were from or where they were going, but the committee in charge of hosting them wanted a blacksmith and found me through the local historical society. Booya!

As I am recovering from a 3 week bout with pneumonia, my brother-in-law (smoking the corn cob pipe in picture 1) was good enough to help me move some gear. He even banged out a couple of miniature horseshoes!

In the first pic, we are joined by my daughter Elena and my nephew Lars.

The second is a pic of my new demo toolbox & insert. The hardies go on top, files in the back, and hammers & tongs underneath. Then the whole mess drops into that footlocker underneath for storage. Most of my hammers & tongs were over at the anvil when this was taken.

The last pic is my new vise stand. I welded it up mostly with some 3 inch angle iron that I had hanging around and diamond plate for the base. It only weighs a little over 125 pounds with the vise on it, but I can stand on the base plate and add another 275 in the blink of an eye! It needs some refinement, but I only had a week to get a portable unit built only from the scrap I had lying around. Same with the toolbox. Short notice, but at least I'm mobile now if I need to be.

The demo itself went well. Lots of onlookers. It was a little hard to concentrate and answer questions at the same time but I managed it. Frost nailed it when he said to keep the projects quick. I lost some people on the more ornate stuff so I switched to hooks and leaves and got a lot more attention. It's amazing how excited people get about a twist! I would go over to the vise, grab the wrench, and people whispered "Look, he's going to twist it!" with a reverence usually reserved for small miracles. Hey... if that makes 'em happy then just call me "Twisty McTwister"

Sorry to ramble on. It was just yesterday and I'm still wound up about it.

14252.attach

14253.attach

14254.attach

Good Deal man! I wish I could have stopped by to see it, I was stuck at work all weekend, hopefully thats an in for Bboro days. I got my shop about 90% finished, so i'll have some work space again.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I hope you get your shop done soon. There's nothing like having a new space to set up in. That isn't the one going up on the road that runs past the fire station from Rt. 65 is it? Looks good if it is.

I got my acceptance letter for Boonsboro Days a few days ago. Don't know if I'll be demonstrating or just selling yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Good for you Mr. Twisty. ;) I like the big smiles in pic 1, very attractive.

I enjoy demos and am glad I was able to make yours go more smoothly though I'm not the only one saying to keep the demos quick. I agree, twisting does seem to fascinate the audience. I had another little trick I developed though I don't know why I did, probably an accident. I used to turn the hooks on a wall hook with my mallet. I'd clamp it in the vise straight up and begin tapping down on it with the wood mallet. I don't know quite why but it made a most shapely and appealing hook very quickly while raising eyebrows.

I like your tool box, it looks very handy and a darned good way to checklist and organize your traveling tools.

I like tong racks on my forge and hammer racks on my anvil stand. I'd be tempted to either put a shelf under yours or a place for the quench bucket. Better yet if you work outdoors a shadow box would be VERY handy for judging color.

Frosty

I used to work at a living history museum in Indiana(where I began my apprenticeship) We not only had to talk to the public while forging, but also stay "in character" and act like it was 1836! Talk about a challenge!

Sounds like it was a good time - Its fun to demo your work for people. Most people have no clue. They find smithing very mysterious.

Good for you! Ain't it fun? I work the forge at the Dallas Heritage Village on occasion and it is set circa 1860. Has a nice 4'x6' double lung bellows and native rock forge. Did my first Civil War Reenactment the weekend before Mother's Day. Had 1000-1100 school kids come out on that Friday then on Sat. we had the "War"....dang bluebellies won again....sigh, one of these days.... As Reid said it's a challenge to stay in 'character'. Talking and working seems to come easy with me...well the talking comes easy anyway. It will get better/easier the more you do. Congrats.

Thanks Mark! I hope you get your shop done soon. There's nothing like having a new space to set up in. That isn't the one going up on the road that runs past the fire station from Rt. 65 is it? Looks good if it is.

I got my acceptance letter for Boonsboro Days a few days ago. Don't know if I'll be demonstrating or just selling yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Thats the one, dont mind the high grass and other ruckus about the place, this shop has kinda been my white whale lately. I just started getting the metal on the roof yesterday. feel free to stop by and shoot the breeze, if im home Im usually outside somewhere.

Cool Mark,
I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm passing through!

And thanks to everybody for the encouraging words and helpful suggestions. I have lots of iron to pound in the next few months. I'll keep you posted.
Joe