I Forge Iron

Dividing Workshop Space

What is the air flow pattern like? What kind of work are you doing?

You definitely want to keep the precision machines separate from the forging area but you need to provide more info. If all you are doing is knives then even a much smaller forging area would be fine. If you are doing gates you may need more than you have when you start throwing 20' pieces of steel around.

#1 safety, what is flammable, what is not. Also do NOT make the mistake I did and have your stock material inside the building!! Sheesh have I got a project to move it all just so I can have a reasonably clear grinding and welding station. A forge area can be relatively small, as you really don't want to go more than 2-3 steps while moving hot metal to the vice, or anvil or power hammer etc. And that area needs to be clear of clutter!! Many good forges are really small, so efficiency is more the key than space, Don from FA-WA forge does all his in a 12X12 shed, with a power hammer in it!

I will be doing mostly decorative home items, tools, BBQ equipment, and smaller type items. I don’t think I will be making anything the size of a gates or fence panels on a regular basis, though I imagine a few will come up from time to time.

I have pretty good air flow currently. There is an 8’ by 10’ overhead door on the north wall, two man doors across from one another on the east and west walls and windows on the east and south walls.

I have not done a lot of forging but a have been done a good deal of general welding and fabrication projects. My main concern is how everything gets covered in grit while welding, cutting, grinding, and now a forge as well.

Thanks for all the input so far.

A separate machine room is a good idea whether you can control the smoke from the forge or not. I'd probably divide that size space like you propose myself, all my machine tools will fit a 10'x20' space with room to spare. In fact I'm putting a 10'x16' machine room in my shop.

Is there a man door in the back wall? An egress in the machine room would be a good idea and make any inspectors you have to deal with happier. Cross ventilation is good too.

Frosty

I also forgot to mention that I live in West Texas on the edge of town surrounded by cotton fields. For those of you who have not been to this part of the country it is very windy and the dust blows on a regular basis. It is impossible to keep the dust and sand out any type of structure with an overhead door. Sustained winds will blow the dirt and sand through no matter how good the seals are. In my house and workshop dust will even make it through the threshold door seal. My thought is that a separate room would help to control the dust problem and keep it isolated in the larger room.

There would not be a man door from the machine room to the outside but there would be a window. In my area an opening window is all you have to have in a bedroom for an alternate fire exit so I think the same would apply in this case as well.

Try it in the open format with machine tools in the back as you planned, and add the wall latter if you feel it suits your space.

I've been considering a similar division between forging and finishing blades but haven't defined the finishing operation yet. Buffing,grinding drilling, assembly etc.

An egress is all you really need though a door is handy it's not essential.

To help keep dust, sand and grit out of the machine area use positive pressure ventilation. Instead of an exhaust fan sucking smoke or whatever out, have a blower pushing filtered air in. This will pressurize the room so dust, etc. can't slip in past the seals, in fact a leaky seal will reveal itself by the dust that's been blown away from it.

With the room under pressure an exhaust hood, say at a soldering or pickling station, only needs a valve like a stove damper. Simply open the valve and the room pressure will escape through the vent with the same effect as an exhaust fan.

Frosty

I would not do a wall. I have a similar situation in that I do wood and metal work. I run wood down one wall and metal down the other. When I am grinding and generally making a mess, I use welding screens to help contain all the flying bits. Flexable floor space is crucial if you do a veriety of work or are not sure of the kind work you will be doing.
My .02 cents...

i am also making a new shop and before doing any thing like cementing stuff in the ground i sill make cardboard pieces of the same size as all my machines and tools forges anvils and all things i will have in there and lay out and them move em around untill im 100% sure they are where i want em. that would help you out as well i think

They can be made of anything i use some grey covering cardboard carpenters use when working indoors at peoples homes.

DC