I Forge Iron

How to peen bronze rod

commanderpete

Greetings all. I was wondering if you could help a newbie. I haven't been able to find much information on how to peen metal.

I'm making some "drift pins" that go through the wooden rudder on my old boat, using 3/8" silicon bronze rod. I need to peen over the ends where it passes through the rudder shaft (cant use fasteners).

Basically, I'm trying to form a head on the end of the bronze rod.

From what I've heard, you need to heat the metal, but not red hot. Then pound away to mushroom the end.

Any other tips I should know?

Would it help to drill a small hole in the end of the rod so it flattens out better?

Thanks for any advice

Peter

Are you using the a ball pien? The round ball seems to spead the metal better.

Work in a circular pattern out from the center. If the first time isn't enough, go back over it until it suits you.

When and if it does start to work harden, you can quickly anneal it by heating to a dull red and quenching it in water. (this is if you are working it cold)

Easy on the edges; they'll be the thinnest and most prone to crack.

Welcome aboard Peter, glad to have ya.

Use a ball pein, start in the center and work outwards in a circular pattern is good. Stay more in the center as already stated. Back the pins from the far side with something several times as heavy as the hammer.

Only make two rounds with the hammer before you anneal, bronze work hardens suddenly and if you aren't familiar it will surprise you and you'll end up having to remove them and start over. No need to quench in this situation you don't need full dead soft, just soft enough it won't crack while you work it.

Center drilling the rod won't help at all.

Frosty

Thanks for the help. Here's a few pictures.

Like an idiot, I applied sealant in the gap between the two teak rudder boards (you need to leave room for the wood to swell when wet). The gap just got wider over the years.

I cleaned out the gap, but couldnt tighten up the drift pins (they're threaded on one end) I was afraid of cracking the wood

So I cut and pounded out the drift pins and I'm making new ones.

The end that gets peened over is where it goes through the shaft

14165.attach

14166.attach

14167.attach