I Forge Iron

Common Sense Trip Hammer

• 5 months later...

I have a common sense #2 that I am going to get running soon it is going to be tricky I have seen a couple of the # 1 hammers set up there is a guy here local that has wygers hammer it has the motor mounted above the hammer. Then there is the one that Carl Jennings used with the motor on the side about mid way. Talked to another guy who had one but never got it running he said to use a jackshaft sorta like the guy with the pretty purple one. Any one got one of these that works? Oh there is one more that I know of in south county gotta get ahold of that guy

18294.attach

• 3 weeks later...
I have a common sense #2 that I am going to get running soon it is going to be tricky I have seen a couple of the # 1 hammers set up there is a guy here local that has wygers hammer it has the motor mounted above the hammer. Then there is the one that Carl Jennings used with the motor on the side about mid way. Talked to another guy who had one but never got it running he said to use a jackshaft sorta like the guy with the pretty purple one. Any one got one of these that works? Oh there is one more that I know of in south county gotta get ahold of that guy

Hi
I have a running Common sense it's not in place but when needed I run power to it .

It's a #1 if somebody needs pics or measurments.... I have mine running from a midway motor running up to a jackshaft and down to Hammer.

works quite well for it's size.

Chuck

• 3 months later...

Finally got this hammer running, after much research and some oakie ingenuity (thanks chuck) I got this thing to work and it hits hard, a little sloppy in the slide and the bearings need a rebuild but for occasional use it should be fine for nowpost-10376-12674559362613_thumb.jpgpost-10376-12674560418613_thumb.jpgpost-10376-12674559845651_thumb.jpg
Thanks to all the guys that helped along the way, Chuck was a great help he came up with this set up and let me come to his place and see it and also use the hammer his is the smaller no 1 hammer and it gets right to work as well. Also I would like to thank dkunkler and mike-hr for their help on checking my math for the pulley size on the jack shaft this stuff is not cheap so it was good to get it right the first time it seems to be running at a controllable speed.
I am heading to the scrap yard today to try and find some material to make some more dies and hopefully a piece of cold rolled for the bearing rebuild