I Forge Iron

New project-Dagger

markb

Did a lot of filing to day.
Flattened it out and profiled, got the basic shape, with the big file. Drilled pin holes. Will start tang taper and blade bevel next.
dagger_008.JPG
dagger_004.JPG
dagger_003.JPG

Edited by markb

I took the idea from a picture of a knife with this basic shape, and then changed small things. I should have made a note of the maker and given credit. I'm not sure when you should give credit for a design, there's so many styles and variations.

It had a guard about 1/8" thick in an oval shape, but I don't know how to do that.
Well I know one way... but skill level is beyond mine.

This could be the subject for another thread.

Thanks for your consideration, I was drawn to the exaggerated profile too.

Heres a spear type profile I never finished.

filed_bevels_006.JPG

It had a guard about 1/8" thick in an oval shape, but I don't know how to do that.
Well I know one way... but skill level is beyond mine.

The rough "grind"- file went real well ,I could keep nice flat bevels and work up to the lie, real crisp, flat and straight. Used the body file(magi-cut) first then the big mill bastard.

Then I went to the small mill bastard and started to draw file. I didn't draw file with the large file.

Drawing with the small file parrallel to the grind lines was too hard to keep the angle and I found out i needed some sort of magnification at this point to see the scratches and lines, had to slow way down. In the prosses I filed a dip in the top flat and there went a nice straight line.

So I think a Opti-visor is in order, the magnifier doesn't allow you to move to see at another angle which is essential.

I filed w/small bastard then sanded w/120 grit one bevel to see how it'd look, may have to go back to file.

I think the dark line in the bevel is a high spot, you can see it from any angle.

Anyway just thought I'd share my learning experience.

dagger_0041.JPG

dagger_0041.JPG

Edited by mod07

• 1 month later...