I Forge Iron

handmade forge help

youngster

i made a forge in my metal working class all i needed was some fire clay to insulate the sides but the person i was supposed to get it from fell through and at that point my dad pointed out that the sides where to smooth to hold it ... then my dad took most of the metal on it for his solar wax melter so i have a 3 by 3 square on 4 three foot legs... there prolly is a better way to say that but im tired. so if any one has any plans of how to build or a plce to get a forge somewhere between st.louis and jeff city in M.O. let me know.

the forge i made was very simply made bye taking steel straping and making it into a box with a 2inch hole cut in the top and then i lined with fire that i purchased from a custom fireplace store in town the most difficult part in my opinion was the burner.I believe the total cost might have been 15$ in fittings and a hose/regulator setup.this is a link to a similar set up to mine its very informative and cheap remember you can modify the body of the forge to your requirments a little depending on available materials http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/tut_burner_warner.shtml

1 take a shovel and dig a scoop out of the dirt
2 use the forge you just created

I built a forge using an axle cover from a "banjo rear end" (from the 1930's) that I bought at a fleamarket in AR---two of them that had been made into jackstands for $3. I ground out any raised seams on the inside and removed the bearing race and have been using the first one as my primary forge for over 20 years. Used a cast iron drain grate or expanded metal for the grate.

I have also made a nice forge from a brake drum that I used to use as my billet welder.

thxs for the help i would like a solid forge and i have tried and couldn't get any fire clay around here but if you know of a place between jeff city and st. louis let me know. my dad suggested i use concrete and sand but i wasnt sure. let me know what you think

I usuall line my forge with a layer of brickies mortor about 1" thick. It may not last as long as fire clay but its cheap and easily found premixed in any hardware store.

Just make sure its well and truely dry before the first fire, I generally leave it a good week before using it.

Hi Youngster,
i cast my lot with Finnr, most forges i've seen don't have clay. Fireclay is expensive and then you are stuck with the shape.
I do wonder what is the benefit? I've heard insulation (is it necessary?) but packed ash and/or coal fines has worked for me, with the added benefit of being able to shape the 'ducks nest' to your job.

have fun.
Andrew