I Forge Iron

METALMORFOSIS (industrial sculpture)

Hi Frost,
Yes indeed, it`s at the entrance of the City local airport. Interestingly, I started the sculpture, and for some reason the process was put off for more than a year. During that time participating in art contests became a very interest issue to me. Nevertheless, not that that I had expected to be the "Winner", but for God`s sake, at times it seems to be "the worst work contest" type of event more than anything else. So I felt pretty bad seeing how crappy work could go on and make to National`s. In all, such practices as I`ve found out, are not uncommon in this art world business, and so I tried to pull out the positive side of it. There had to be something positive! The experience was not a deterrant to me, contrarywise Frosty, I felt compelled to do better and bigger work no matter what. Thus Metalmorfosis started to take shape again till I finished it. Afterwards I had to find a place for it. Neither a gallery nor a contest, I wanted people to enjoy and value 3 months of heart felt work, after all nobody writes letters to stash them away. The people at the airport felt in love with it as soon as they saw it. My offer was to exibit for free. Fortunately, so much hard work and effort is paying off with all the work generated thereby. Now, Metalmorfosis has become an emblematic figure at the airport, and when the time comes, I shall propose to sell it to them or else...??? May this be an example for young guys starting in this difficult art business. Work, work, and work; find places that`ll give you good public exposure and be patient (this is the hard part). Anyway, Frost thanks and glad you like it. Nelson.

I don't have any art training to speak of, last class was in high school so my tastes in art tend to be simple. I like messages I can read without knowing all the ins and outs of ART. I think this is one reason some art is obviously cruddy workmanship but wins prizes, they have all the buzz words down pat and the judges are flattered. Or something like that.

Anyway, what I like about your piece is the clear symbolism, the language is clear and the message speaks for itself. Best of all it's an uplifting message so it makes most everybody who see's it feel good.

I know it puts a smile on my mug.

Frosty

My academic background in art is also limited to a few art classes in college the rest is just self learned, with all the mistakes and few acchievements implied thereof, but the main thing is to enjoy what you do regardeless of the level some put at, and if people enjoy the work, better yet. Some may hate it and that`s alright too! That`s something I love about this site: how much one can learn and enjoy sharing with other fellow men.Your view of this sculpture may or not be as intended, but "uplifting" pretty much describes the overall message conveyed, without getting into details and sophisticated words, that`s where critics come in... Cheers Frost, things should be warming up in Alaska! Nelson.

Jeds,
The airport is going to be remodeled and the project includes an art exibition area for artists. I don`t wanna appear like the star of the show, but I`m glad that in the near future there`ll be a place to show their work, in a rather unusual place:an airport. Truthfully, I`ll be glad for those that will also get exposure, and we could share a room, where more people will benefit from this important exibit. Others shall enjoy being here too. My home town is too industrial minded, and art is not exactly promoted. Things ought to change, and the airport people have realized the importance of encouraging creativity towards a more humanistic city...Thanks! nelson.

Mike,
I`ve been doing comercial iron work mainly, and at times may be fun and inspiring, but other times well, it`s just plain work, work for a living. As I adventured spontaneously, because I didn`t plan to get into it, I discovered how wonderful it is to do sculpture. The less restriccions in regards to particular measurements, shape, color, or meaning, the more freedom one has to create. In fact, I don`t like to use the word create, for it`s all created already. All we do as artists, in my opinion is discovering, and whatever we discover be it a tecnique, a particular shape, a texture and any other elements, is
simply asseambling our discovery in a personal and unique way to express something. So I invite you to discover,to discover what`s out there and what`s within your mind... Thanks. Nelson.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...