I Forge Iron

intro

I'll just add this to what Chuck said. The places he sent you are real. they aren't written by somebody that says "gee, think I'll go to Japan and write about sword smiths" . This place is not the movies nor is it somebody's hypothetical idea of what might or should be done. These people are real (the ones Chuck sent you to ). What they HAVE is experience in metal. Period. There are other places that have sharp folks too but I suspect that they would have already told you to take a hike. This is a friendly place. Take notice and hope you get what folks are trying to help you with.

ok. 6.5 hp shop vac, times 746 watts per horsepower, divided by 120 volts equals 40 amps, hmm, me thinks that jim h is right, you, sir are a troll. I will hope you contact someone in your area to set you straight, if you really are real, before you hurt yourself or burn down your mommies house

General Information:
If you choose to ignore a member of the IForgeIron forum, you have the option to click on user control panel at the top left of the page, click on buddy / ignore lists second up from the bottom of the page, and add that members name to the RIGHT hand side of the box, and click update ignore list. This will remove all the posts from this member from your view. To view the posts from this member in the future, you follow the procedure again, but this time remove the ignored members name from the ignore list, and click update ignore list.

If you have a specific reason to believe there is a problem on the site, please contact Glenn with your information. Until he is alerted to the problem, he can not fix it.

River-Gazer:
This post is NOT a suggestion toward you, but is posted as general information to the members of the site. If you (River-Gazer) are sincere in your quest for knowledge, the people at IForgeIron are just as sincere in answering your questions, and providing you with good information. You have experienced this first hand already. You are encouraged to ask questions in order to gain knowledge and understanding of the craft, the same as any other member of the site.

Okay boys & girls,
Lets follow Glenn's advice and "ignore" the situation, or follow our kindergarten teachers advice and try the "don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say" approach for a bit and see what happens...

bbb, as far as the shop vac thing goes, rivergazer is not making things up, your calcs may be spot on, but they are being advertised as 6.5hp! Check out the following link.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fAppliances%2fVacuums+%26+Extractors%2fWet-Dry+Vacs&BV_SessionID=@@@@0615461939.1152543097@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddififellgcgelceffdfgidgkj.0&MID=9876

Yeah, I know it's tough to bite your tongue--I have fallen victim to my loose tongue more than once!

Rivergazer, a bit of advice, if you care to hear any...

Remove "Rivergazer" from this forum--then come back--as say "humbleguy I" and start with a different approach. Don't claim any amazing powers or abilities and ask/share realistic questions relative to your skill set and I'll bet that you'll have a lot better time and get more productive responses from the folks around here.

Sincerely,
Henry

River-Gazer: Feel free to post here just as you are and say whatever you want, as long as you use language fit for a surfing child to read. The internet, even including this site, is rife with disinformation and hearsay, and you just have to wade carefully through it all. There is no way for you to know the quality and accuracy of what you read online, so take it all with a grain of salt. The more fantastic it sounds, the more suspicious you might want to be. If at all possible, meet with real, competent, blade-makers to help you sort out the legitimate from the fantasy.

On this board, we are very fortunate to have Jim Hrisoulas (JPH) as a member. On his site: http://www.atar.com/ you can read a bit on his credentials. Consider buying one of his books. And if you can meet him in person, all the better. I doubt you can find a better resource for what you want to learn anywhere.

Fortunately for most of us, natural selection does not apply or we wouldn't have survived this long. However, don't push your luck on this one.

Try things out. I'd rather hear of your failed experiments in forging and discussion on ways to improve than any manner of talk about equipment.

I'm not crazy about your forge arrangement. There are better (and cheaper) blowers than a wet-vac. There are lots of discussions on forges and firepots to peruse here and on other sites. See if you can find a good, operational forge doing work similar to what you wish to accomplish.

Let us know where you live, and maybe we can steer you to another helpful blacksmith or bladesmith close enough to visit.

The internet, even including this site, is rife with disinformation and hearsay, and you just have to wade carefully through it all. There is no way for you to know the quality and accuracy of what you read online, so take it all with a grain of salt.

This comment of IForgeIron "being rife with disinformation and hearsay" has gotten my attention. I was not aware of the problem.

Ed, If you know of a post on IForgeIron that contains false information, disinformation, and or hearsay, please contact me with the location of the post and the proper information to correct the post. I will then make notations in the post setting things straight. If that means opening all 8,700+ current posts, then that is what needs to be done, and it will be done. It will take some time and I will need and ask for assistance, but notations will be made.

You are correct in advising that any suggestions made be taken to the forge and used. Not all will work, even if the information is absolutely correct. It will provide a basis for additional discussions and more forge time, which means more discussion and more forge time. I know of no one on IForgeIron that will give up on someone trying and struggling to achieve a goal. I have seen too many times when folks go out of their way to be of assistance. The old expression of ask 10 blacksmiths and get 12 answers is not a fable, but the truth. Try all 12 ways and then ask more questions.

Glenn: The INTERNET is rife with disinformation and hearsay. Although not exactly "rife", this board is not completely exempt. Any time that someone posts anything based on what someone else told them or that they read, it is hearsay. It is not what they themselves have experienced. Hearsay is not good or bad; it is just less reliable than going directly to the source, and invariably diluted. This is a forum, not an encyclopedia. Of course people, including myself, will post hearsay in an effort to be helpful. The best information is genuine first-hand experience. Probably followed by eye-witness. But clearly, when you have a discussion on the history of anvils when the posts are liberally sprinkled with "probably" and "no doubt" and "I would think", etc., it is hearsay. That doesn't make it wrong, but it has little value except conversational speculation. I happen to enjoy conversational speculation. Just read the post KNOWING that that's what it is.

Disinformation is all over the place. You can see it in every post where people jump in to correct someone, such as right here in this original post. If we who know better from personal experience let someone post something that is in error, we are doing a disservice to all the people who search the net for information on blacksmithing. But that doesn't mean the post has to be eliminated. The whole discussion on power hammers:
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039 is riddled with speculation and disinformation. If someone were to try to make an informed decision on buying a power hammer based on that discussion, they would be at best, confused, and at worst, in search of a hammer inappropriate to their needs. So what? It's an entertaining discussion by people learning to use their hammers. Someone surfing this board needs to pay attention to that, and not assume it's a master class in power hammers by the world's experts.

If we were all absolutely right all the time and all knowing all the time, then we're probably done with this particular experience.

Ed, On this forum, there is plenty of room for questions, answers and also corrections. We are now some 35 posts into welcoming River-Gazer to the site and forum, and the thread is now way off the original topic. You can follow the conversation from beginning to end, as long as you can keep up with the twists and turns of the thread.

If someone repeats comments from an "expert", repeats something they have heard at a hammer in, or repeats something they have read and can not remember the exact source for reference, it is hearsay. But it is not necessarly posted to intentionally mislead the viewer. There may be information on the site that is misleading if you take one comment out of context, but follow the thread from post #1 to the last post in any given thread, and you should get good information. It is not complete by any means, and is not the last word on the subject. You must continue to research from as many sources as are available. You must chase down the leads mentioned in your research. Only you know when enough is enough, and only then can you make a decision based on your research.

To limit yourself to only the facts, and only first hand experience, also limits the creative process. One idea sparks another, which sparks another and so on. The end result of the conversation may have no relation to the original question.

A request to everyone:
IForgeIron does not wish to present bad or misleading information. If you find bad or misleading information on the site, please let me know. And please send me the good information so I can to correct the problem. Or post the good information in a reply so we can discuss the differences. This way everyone can understand why one is considered bad and one is considered good.

Rver-Gazer: Well, you certainly have helped generate the liveliest discussion in the intro section to date. For which I commend and thank you. I hope that you continue to pursue your blade-making endeavors with energy and integrity, and that you share with us your successes and failures. Since I'm not particularly interested in blade-making, I won't be much use. However, I can always hope your forging efforts expand to include ornamental ironwork, which we all know is FAR more rewarding. Ha. :)

hi. i did manage to get some decent forging in now that my forge is 4 1/2 inches wide and 6" deep (alot of heat. takes only a few second to re-heat from red to yellow) and did some work on what... i think it was irnsrgn, told was shock steel, which is very hard to hammer at high tempurature. I worked at yellow, and higher at a point when i managed managed to fix a lengthy crack down the length of the steel which i made before i could get decent heat. I still cant confirm what it came from, but it was railroad related, and has been called a tie plate by members of this forum and several others in my life. And apparently, from what i heard from former co-workers, i strong and tough enough to withstand a .50 caliber flint-lock rifle round (yeah, my co-workers are a little crazy. someone almsot died what that fact was found out).

The orignial stock, which i painstakingly cut from the tie plate with a hacksaw after annealing it, was about 3/8 by 1 1/4 by 6".
What im going to link is rough work. it's not ready to meet the file, for it would be fa to much work. I had ran out of charcoal before i could finish it. It was forthe best, because, due to the difficulty of this material, it required me using my 4 pound hammer for the entire 3 or 4 hours of forging. Wasnt exhausted, but i couldnt pound with fervor.

As a said, it's not done on the forge. jsut rough work. If you wondering aboutthe tang, it's going to be a tanto. it's 8 1/4" long (7 sun, 8 bu, 5 rin)

http://www.geocities.com/ender834/first_knife_back.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/ender834/first_knife_side.jpg

As a note, this shock steel, at yellow hot, had roughly the consistancy of cold wrought iron, so i was pounding pretty hard. Please keep this in mind when judging.

I'm not changing my name. It's my name on more modernly prarticipated taoist forums, and i cant think of a better one thats not taken (like watcherinthewater). This name, despite it all, IS tied with respect, on forums where the word 'mole' has never been spoken (didnt even know what it meant till a few weeks ago), jsut not from here... or that martial arts forum.
I'm going to lie low, as i have on this forum for the last while. I'll let my work speak as i make it. This is my first work, and it's incomplete.

I do listen, there is just alot being said.

313.attach

314.attach