I Forge Iron

Muzzleloading tools

I going to make some tools for blackpowder firearms such as screw turns, combo tools, ect. I was wondering if anyone new what size and type of wire to use for nipple picks. I have plenty of small antler tines for handle but not sure of wire size or type that would be flexible enough and still retain shape.

I highly suggest looking at wire from gunsmithing suppliers. My favorite supplier is Brownells: Categories

These suppliers sell spring wire in a range of various dimensions, as well as coils of music wire. These wires have the advantage of being strong, flexible, and if I understand correctly, are designed to be made into desired shaped springs and in your application into vent picks.

Equipment and supplies of other crafts can be very useful.

A lot of people use Piano Wire - either sections from broke/replaced wires or new wire from the music store. They are generally very good spring steel tempered fairly hard - but still with some flex left in them. Some wire guitar strings will also work.

Historically, the touch hole on most old muzzleloaders was fairly large. But modern muzzleloaders tend to have a very small touch hole - often with a screw in liner that can be replaced.

Plus, historically, they were not called Vent Picks, but Priming Wires - in the written documents. The powder measure was called a Charger.

Such changes in terminology tends to mess up research.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Don't forget about the twist-on Gun Worm for cleaning - a coiled wire that tapered in diameter a bit that you twisted onto the end of your wood "wiping stick" to clean your gun. Some were made with threads to screw into brass end caps on your ramrod or wiping stick. But a lot of Fur Trade era guns just had that twist-on coil of wire for a cleaning jag.

As Mike said, steel guitar strings are usually a fairly hard spring steel. They wear or break every now and then so perhaps you could get a few for trying out from a guitar-playing acquaintance or perhaps from a guitar shop's bin. They come in a variety of gauges though the larger ones are usually a wire wrapped around a separate wire core.

what i use is a soft iron wire bent to shape then flaten to stiffen it up a bit . Then i grind to a fine point . the reason is a soft wire wont wear as much on touchole and isnt likely to break in touchole.... that would be like spikeing your gun! also if you have a breach that has a rounded end you can bend the vent pick to get farther into the breach . also easy to make ... good luck

Another nice little tool to make to sell as plunder is a folding ladle for melting lead. I make a hand full of those every year. You can knock them out pretty quick, and with a little imagination can look pretty spiffy. I can get between 10 and 20 bucks a piece for those little beauties. If you look around you can see alot of nice examples.

Keep your powder dry!