I Forge Iron

Hammers in the UK - supplier?

How many blacksmithing hammers do you intend to wear out in your lifetime? A custom made blacksmithing tool is an investment. Divide the cost of the tool by the years of service it provides and you get the annual cost (value) of that tool. Then you must adjust that number as you are more productive with good tools and many good tools get passed down to the next generation in the family.

We can ship the Hofi hammers to UK or Europe. Email or PM me your name, address, email address, and the Hofi Hammer size you want. We can then contact you concerning price and delivery.

You don't have to have a 'Blacksmiths Hammer' to forge metal, assuming you are in the UK (whereabouts?) you should be able to access suitable hammers at many locations and from very cheap to very expensive.

I am still using a 2lb ball pein hammer I made as an apprentice over forty years ago. Having said that, the hammer I use most of all nowand feel very comfortable is a Vaughns farrier's rounding hammer, this was not cheap, but it has more than earned its keep and its regular place on/by the anvil. It also means I have a ball face and forging hammer in one, whereas before I carried two 2lb hammers, 1 regular ball pein, and the other a ball faced ball pein, I still have these as back up, but prefer the Vaughns Its a quality product made from the right materials.

In fact truth be known I have two, I like a back up 'just in case'

Edited by John B

Hello,

I agree that a hammer, or any equipment for that matter, should be the best quality one can afford; but the point here is that if you can't afford the best brand new kit, you can 'make do' with an alternative for the time being. We have all had times when we had to save every penny in every way.

Vaughans' hammers are very expensive in the UK, and it is not too hard to get a good secondhand hammer for a very reasonable price. The two hammers I use most were bought secondhand; one I use as it came (but re-hafted) the other is a reground & forged 4lb sledge, now a good 3lb cross pein, total price for the two...about

Thanks for all the advice. I've been blacksmithing (South Wales) for a couple of years now and have been using a big ball-pein and a small sledge hammer generally. I wanted to invest in a 'proper' cross-pein blacksmithing hammer and just wondered if there was more choice in the Uk than Vaughans. The Cromwell hammers look good so I've gone for a couple of those for now. All of my other tools have come from eBay or local antique shops - or I've made them. I think making a hammer is a bit beyond me just yet!

Thanks again,

Richard

Richard, As mentioned Cromwells are a good source of supply for cross pein hammers but they are a little longer than what many would call a blacksmiths "forging hammer".
I bought one of these for 60 Euros but you can get something very similar on the same site for half this. Vic.

- ANGELE Schmiedetechnik - ANGELE-SHOP

If you don't want to look at lots of nice Blacksmithing stuff DON'T click on the link! :p

G,

Not so rusty! "Little England" is the direct translation. It is the name of my house - and probably the trading name for my blacksmithing (eventually!). I am an 'Englander' but unfortunately not so 'little'!

My hammers have just arrived from Cromwells - they look the business. Can't wait to get home from work and give them a try.

Thanks again,

Richard

Sam,

I think we are OK! The locals named the house anyway. Apparently it used to be a pub (every house in Wales 'used to be a pub') toward the end of the 19th century and it was frequented by a group of English labourers who were working at a nearby estate. This is a very Welsh area so English 'invaders' were few and far between so it became known as Little England.

I wouldn't change the name now - that would probably bring forth the aforesaid brick!

Richard

forgot to mentions, the cromwells hammers will aslo need dressing as they have a nasty 45 degree chamfer on the edges.

as for ball peens being proper smithing hammers in the uk, that depends on your definition of traditional. True enough ballpeens are only seen in the uk forges, but they only appeared in the last few hundred years. before that we all used cross peen, square faced hammers like everyone else ;) Personally I have no neeed for the ball peen unless I'm riveting, so generally a square faced cross peen is my friend.

Good Morning Dave

Here we have one of those differences in mindset. In Britain, just because you've done something for the last few hundred years, doesn't necessarily make it traditional. Over on the other side of the pond, that's longer then we've existed :-)

sorry, something i often forget :rolleyes: I had a Canadian girl staying with me a couple of years ago and she helped out in a living museum back home. Apparently the museum was a nice example of a homestead of the 1860s, so she found the idea that I was living in a 16th century house and using 18th century tools quite strange :D