I Forge Iron

Another bellows question...

Grafvitnir

Hi. This is my first thread and believe me, I've searched everywhere for an answer before asking this.

I know some of you have this type of bellows. What are they called? Drum bellows usually refers to the African pot bellows, so I usually call them round bellows. Does any one have a diagram or plans for how are they made? I've found that it seems to be 2 types of them. I attached some pictures and my own mspaint drawings to try to explain what I think and make myself clear.

The first type has the same mechanism as the common teardrop shaped bellows. The lower chambers both fills the upper one and blows air to the forge and when it goes down it fills again and the upper one blows air to the fire. The homemade one in the Selby's picture and the Inversin inner tube bellows, my first drawing and the portable forge seems to use this system.

The other one is the one I can't figure out. In the 2 pictures of the same bellows one in up and the other in down position it seems that the center part is the one moving; a tube goes from the lower chamber to the top and I think that is the chamber where air goes out as in my second drawing I tried to represent but, where is the air inlet for the upper working chamber?

Does anyone have a real diagram?

I know I don

13650.attach

13651.attach

13652.attach

13653.attach

13654.attach

13655.attach

13656.attach

13657.attach

Welcome aboard Ruben, glad to have you.

If you copy the inner tube bellow's valving scheme you'll have a working unit regardless of the skin you put on the outside. The particular 3 chambered version seems to be missing a check valve, I'd just put on it after experimenting on a scale model.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Thank you for your answers. First of all, I think they are used in the UK, at least every picture I found was of one located there except the homemade one that was in a newsletter (ABANZ) in New Zealand, but then again, English influence :)

It's not that I want to build one, both the japanese box bellows or the first type of bellows I draw or Inversin

13693.attach

13694.attach

13695.attach

As I recall, the COSIRA group has plans for a simple forge and it includes such a round bellows. The organization and their plans are for "developing countries", and setting up simple businesses that people can work. The CINVA Ram is another type of simple tooling - for making consistent mud/clay building blocks. It forms and compresses them by a hand lever system.

A lot of those simple technology plans have a lot of value and ideas for you to gleam from. Of course, a lot of their plans are for gardening and raising animals. But they also have stuff to help you turn it into a small business.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

• 2 weeks later...

"Smiths' Work" edited by Paul Hasluck, originally published in 1899 and reprinted in 2005 by Lindsay Publicationa Inc-www.lindsaybks.com-,ISBN 1-55918-339-X. Chapter IX gives instructions on how to fabricate a forge of this type. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Thank you very much Holzkohle!!

I looked for it in google and found this link to download it:
Smiths' Work by Paul N. Hasluck, 1904 - wkFineTools.com

(Legal download because of copyright it seems) (It's a USA link)

I still will try to get it from Lindsay books if they still carry it (I prefer real books). The .pdf showed it has all the instructions for both the forge and the bellows.

Thanks a lot again

Rub

Ok, this is what I meant when I said there seemed to be two types of round bellows. The simple model, that seems to be used in portable forges, the one in Hasluck's book, Inversin's, the one of New Zealand, etc. Then the other type, the one I have no idea how it is made, and of which I found this (wasteful) picture of them upside down and used for lamps!!! Being completely stretched you can see what I meant, i.e. it seems to have 3 chambers, as I tried to "doodle" at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks again.

Rub

14113.attach

Hi Ruben, here we are again, I have some information for you, but unfortunately it is too large to upload to the site, I will try to email it to you.

If it is useful and solves/clarifies your problem, please advise on this site and perhaps Glen would contact me and I can send the details to him to put on the blueprints site

Edited by John B
Passing it on to others if useful.

Thanks a lot John B. I really solves the problem. At least I now know I am not crazy. (or at least not that much) :) It really was more complex than the other type of bellows, 3 chambers, hidden air inlets, almost like a puzzle or riddle ;)

I hope you do make a BP; I know there are people here who would like to see it at least for its design if not for trying to make one.

Thank you very much

Rub

Thanks Ruben, I have sent you some more pictures, but they will take some time to download as I left them in the original format to show more detail and so that you can manipulate them yourself.

I am glad we got there eventually. It is a pity that I cannot download it to the gallery section due to the file size, perhaps Glen can do something about it if others feel it may be of interest or useful, I will try to send it anyway for an opinion.