I Forge Iron

My first forge

jyatulis

Boy.... I wish my first forge was THAT nice.... Excellent find!!!
Personaly, I wouldn't paint it. The patina of age is worth keeping
I wish I could help with info cause all I have are questions....
Like, how does a down draft work? does it need a axhaust fan?
Seems like it should have a screen over the klinker breaker.

Thanks Fe-Wood. I consider myself very lucky to find it. The down draft works like one of those cook top down-draft units. The hood it would have had helps to trap the smoke to get it to the exhaust. The big slot at the back of the unit would have been filled in with the lower part of the hood I guess. There is an excellent pic posted by Don. under "nice-old-picture-anvil-chorus-11123" There is one on either side of the bottom of the picture. The exhaust would have gone down through the floor of the shop. I imagine it was a powered exhaust. There are several in the book link I posted. I imagine there would have been a perforated plate over the hole in the center. I was told there was an electric blower attached originally. It was funny when I went to pick it up because it was a bit of a lawn ornament. He had it outside for several years just sitting under a tree. I like your idea of not painting it. I am true to original with my antique woodworking tools as well. You can't beat the original patina. I am not sure about this one though. After I get it all cleaned up and working I would be concerned about it rusting up again.

Jay

Thanks Brian. That is the picture I was trying to refer to. I couldn't figure out how to post a link within the forum. The company in Montreal was the Canadian subsidiary of Buffalo Forge from the U.S. From what I have read it was started up in Montreal in 1903 and later moved to what is now Kitchener, Ontario. It was also renamed to Canadian Blower and Forge. I have got one of those manual drill presses by them as well.

Thanks for the envious complements on the forge Wagonmaster and Frosty. I will show them to my wife who basically wants it off "her" patio. :o It is sweet and in relativley good condition for its near 100 year age. I love old tools. I feel I got a great deal all in for $250 CAD with the tools. I will still build my propane forge this spring, but really want to use this one as well. I live in the city and want a real clean burn. Is there anything I should be using other than regular blacksmith coal to have a real clean neighbour friendly fire? I will have to figure out what I will do with the downdraft aspect of it. I suppose I could fill in the space. The equipment junky in me wants to build a scrubber to draw the smoke through.