I Forge Iron

What material should be used for tongs?

rdennett

I was always under the impression that tongs should be made from mild steel, but at a meeting recently, a smith made a pair from some railroad spikes. He also suggested that one make them from old coil springs. What do you make yours out of?

Rob

Most RR spikes are mild steel, the HC ones are at the low end of medium carbon steel.

You can use thinner stock if it's higher in carbon; but then you have to be carefull not to let them get over critical and then quench them. If you are a smith that commonly gets the ends of your tongs glowing don't use higher carbon steel for your tongs. If you are careful never to over heat your tongs you can use it.

Personally I buy my tongs. Takes me about as long to forge a set of tongs as to weld up a billet and I have a lot more fun with a billet!

The tongs I did forge are CP2 Titanium.

What Thomas said.

Making your own tools especially tongs is excellent practice. RR spikes make fine tongs just don't expect them to make a blade capable of holding an edge. My only gripe about using spikes for tongs is all the drawing necessary to make the reins.

Frosty

Suggestion is to buy tongs to fit 3/8 and 1/2" material try to fine the "universal" tongs that hold both round and rectangular .

With those in hand then start making your own. I used to take the first pair of tongs I made with me just so other smiths would ask me what in the world they were.:)

I kept them for a long time to remind me that how ever badly I messed up something that at least I was better now than I was then.

I favor 3/8 A36 reins with welded on 1/2 or larger jaws. ( Electric weld or forge weld ) depends on how tired I am and how soon I'm going use them. It is possible to forge out several different jaw styles and refine them before tacking on the reins. higher alloy = lighter tongs but more caution around the slack tub.

Edited by Charlotte
add sentence

Most purchased tongs are made of something like 1050, or 8640, or 8630. For power hammer use tongs are often made of 4140. I make most tongs of mild steel (1018 or A36), but have used about anything including hay rake tines and S1. I think a recent thread on this forum related to tongs made of titanium. Making tongs is great practice. Good luck.