I Forge Iron

Cross your fingers for me...

Hey everybody!
I have just put in my application for my first show. It's a juried craft fair so naturally I'm a little nervous about being accepted - especially since I've only been forging regularly since last July.

They wanted to see photos of two pieces so I sent them one of a trammel and one of a trellis I just finished. The trammel isn't very exciting, but it is a heritage festival for a nearby town so I figured they'd want to see something a little more historically oriented.

Anyway, I've attached the pics. Feedback is always welcome, as well as any tips on doing business at a craft fair etc. The show is in September so if I get in I'll have some busy months ahead!:o

13250.attach

13251.attach

13252.attach

Add a table top around the top of your forge. Does not have to be huge, just enough to provide room for some extra coal and make life easier in general. 30 x 30 inches with the forge front center will work.

best of luck with your application. Remember demos are suppose to be fun. Take plenty of food and water with you.

Nice looking work, be sure to charge enough for them.

Taking small items for less than $20 is a good idea.

You have a good smile, crowds will like it and if you have a good patter things will go well. Jokes, people like jokes while you're describing what you're doing. Hold any mythical stuff to a minimum, most folk with money don't really believe in magic anyway.

Frosty

Gee Frosty I'm blushing:D

Seriously though, everybody's advice makes sense to me. I figure small stuff is going to be my best bet - especially in this economy. Of course the jurors wanted to see my best examples and the ones I posted are as good as I've got at this point. I'm planning on some major pieces, but not enough to fill a 10x10 booth. There will definitely be lots of "doodads".

Interesting comment about the "mythical" stuff Frosty. I find myself drifting when the topic turns that way too. Busty Valkyries are all well and good but I've learned that the best stories (especially the ones related to iron and steel) are the true ones!

Thanks again everybody. I'll let you know what happens.

What I mean by mythical is how so many guys try blowing smoke up the public's collective orifii about the "magic" involved in forging iron. Most people don't buy that BS anymore, They may think there's trickery involved like batteries and a red LED in the plastic bar you're hammering on but they don't believe in magic.

Most of my demo patter is aimed at driving home the fact that blacksmithing or any kind of making is only a matter of knowledge and practice. People really connect with the idea they can MAKE something with their own hands.

I think THAT is the "new magic."

Frosty

Good for you on the juried show!!! Hope all the smithing gods are with you when the jurors look at your pictures. Your last pic is sure to get you in:D

If the show does allow demo's, take a friend to work with you, that way you can always have something coming off the anvil. Don't be affraid to give freebees to kids, they love them and become gruppies.

Practice your forge welding too. People love to watch the process...Just be sure to worn evryone about the flying sparks!

I did a street fair years ago and it was perhaps the funest smithing day I ever had! Made a little money too:)

What I mean by mythical is how so many guys try blowing smoke up the public's collective orifii about the "magic" involved in forging iron. Most people don't buy that BS anymore, They may think there's trickery involved like batteries and a red LED in the plastic bar you're hammering on but they don't believe in magic.

Most of my demo patter is aimed at driving home the fact that blacksmithing or any kind of making is only a matter of knowledge and practice. People really connect with the idea they can MAKE something with their own hands.

I think THAT is the "new magic."

Frosty

Ahhhhhh! I was thinking Norse gods and ceremonial daggers and such. Shows you where my mind was. Yes, you're absolutely right. That's where it gets me - when a few hammer strikes suddenly turn a pointed bar into a leaf, and twists... In my (limited) experience so far people LOVE twists.

I can see where our demo patter would be quite entertaining! Anyone who can come up with a phrase like "blowing smoke up the public's collective orifii" is truly gifted with words! Edited by Junksmith
Forgot some praise...

Forge welding is NOT recomended at a show unless you have a spatter screen for at least 3 sides of the anvil. Only have to burn a hole in one piece of clothing to lose the profit of all day and NOT be asked to participate any more. Many craft fairs do not have enough room to get folks far enough away to be safe without a guard!

I can see where our demo patter would be quite entertaining! Anyone who can come up with a phrase like "blowing smoke up the public's collective orifii" is truly gifted with words!

Well. . . I was trying to modify the phrase so as to NOT get edited.

But yes, I get along pretty well with the public.

I guess the most important rule after being safe and honest is have fun. If you enjoy what you're doing so will the audience. Audience is exactly what they are too, thinking about them like "potential customers" won't do it. Oh sure you have to keep that in mind but it doesn't work as a show theme.

I tell jokes, laugh at the nth. repeat of the one or two blacksmith jokes a spectator tells me many times a day. Wink at the girls, let the boys feel the heat from a safe distance in a bar of hot steel. All the while carrying on with the demo, explaining step by step.

Demo projects have to be doable in 10 minutes or so unless you're REALLY good with the patter. most folk won't hang around much more than 10 mins. Sure, some will hang out leaning against something all day but that isn't who you need to aim the show towards.

I used to have one "large" project piece, something in 3/4" or better. This was my "draw bar" When I take a piece of steel that size heated to yellow for 8-10" the heat can be felt for some distance, the glow shows brightly. That and the sound of the anvil draws a crowd from quite a ways away.

Once I have an audience I do some work on the large piece and then change out to a demo (10 min) piece. I've tried doing a demo with large stock items but progress isn't fast enough to hold a crowd's attention and they'll wander off, they'll often come back later to check on progress though. Often they'll bring friends. ;)

Frosty