I Forge Iron

sucker rod carbon content?

stangcrazy85

Aren't most sulfides water soluble? Just seems that most of the sucker rod I've seen has been laying around in a pile out in the weather for some time before it was acquired by a smith and most of the nasty sulfides were probably gone? I've used a bit of it and never noticed anything but rust on it. Mark Aspery uses it all the time for the tooling in his classes (which is where I've gotten most of mine). I know there are a number of different alloys, but I recall seeing a chart that cross referenced the numbers on the female end of the rod to the alloy somewhere. Thought it was here. Anyway, the stuff I've used will make a serviceable tool, is easy and forgiving to forge, and easy to heat treat using a water quench / triple temper process also developed by Mark. It is a little tougher under the hammer than mild, so I'm not sure I'd make a lot of pokers or decorative stuff out of it unless I was broke or couldn't find cheap scrap mild though.

No, many sulfides are not soluble in water. Nor are all of the the sulfur compounds adhereing to steel from sour gas wells sulfides. Soluibility depends on a number of factors.
In this case we are talking specifically about materials from Sour gas wells.

Missing from this whole discussion is another factor that you may or may not run into. NORM's
Naturaly Occuring Radioactive Materials- which have been known to contaminate oil field steel to the point that it is thought too dangerous to be set to scrap for re-melt. Not a big issue but worth thinking about if you happen on a pile that appears abandoned. In the last little while most scrap processers have been required to certify that the level of radioactivity is below a certain level.

I don't know the details of the NORM levels and only know about it from the papers reporting of law suits and people being sent to jail.

• 5 months later...