I Forge Iron

Learning Everyday

Just a couple of pics of some hooks, a snake, ss leaf and a dogs head (I did a while a go but prettied it up with a brass brush). Learning everytime I light the forge wether it be fire management, hammer control, correct tong choice/fit and on that were the dog can sit in the shop as burnt fur stinks. I am starting to favour a pair of large pliers as tongs and they have been performing fairly well to date, does anyone use same and or should I break this habit before it becomes a problem (for whatever reason??) Cheers stay safe thanks for you all sharing your knowledge.

12968.attach

12969.attach

12970.attach

12971.attach

12972.attach

Looks to me like you have learned a lot already Bully. Some nice combination twists and use of different steels for different effects. Very nicely done. Keep up the good work. There is never an end to learning something new in this trade, either a new technique or type of steel or metod of doing it. The list goes on and on. Heck, after nearly thirty years in the trade I'M still learning things.:P

Terry

learning is a ongoing thing ..your getting there i especially like the dog! as far as pliers for tongs ive used um for certan projects but a good pair of well fitting tongs will spoil you.once you get a pair that fits well your pliers will be put to other uses ... but a good pair of tongs for every situation takes time or money...have fun

Nice items Bully, especially the dogs head. I had been using a pair of vice grip pliers because I found the flat mouth tongs I had for ages wouldn't hold items properly and they would move from side to side. Solution? reforge the tongs, they now are very usable, but until I can perfect the art of tong making, the vice grips still come in handy. I know what you mean about the best place for the dog, our fella coped a hot coal recently. My forge at the moment is on wheels and as the photo shows he now sleeps behind it.;)

12997.attach

Love your set up Ian looks very user friendly and tidy what brand of blower is that and hand or electric? (cant quite make it out) and if thats a lab in the background then it is doing one of 2 things a lab does best, sleep, and the other eat (grew up with them) Same with the tong situation have not been able to make a working set yet (but will) Am going country shortly and hoping to pick up some tongs/tools from a friends Aunt whos grandfather was a B/S (she told me she needed the shed cleaned up wooohoo) cheers

Bully, you keep this up & youse wont ave any of that coke left soon :)

Hey nice work bloke , youse is gettin' there ( round ta square , round ta square ) :)

" PLIERS " .. i didn't teach youse ta use those ...:(
Next time your here it's TONG'S ........................................... & if you good we'll even knock up a pair under thumper

Finnr , what Bully lacks in skills now he more then makes up for in passion , kinda reminds me of myself when i first started

Dale Russell

Thanks Bully , I haven't got a separate shed yet so everything has to be stored in the corner of the garage when not in use. The blower is an electric one it's a German made EBM-Papst centrifugal blower and runs through 50mm square tube. There about $ 260 to buy but I was lucky and mine came from a disused promotional balloon that belonged to a friend. It has a capacitor fitted to it as well, which I think is designed to make the motor slow down gradually when it's turned off, I may be wrong, those who are more electrically minded might correct me. The dog is actually a black Pug, but does the same things, sleeps and eats, follows me around like a shadow. Good luck with your shed cleaning, might have to take a truck with you.:)

Ian, I like both the forge and the artwork !!

Place a 2nd drum with both ends cut out on top of the first one. Weld several pieces of scrap (3 or more) around the top of the first drum to hold the 2nd drum in place. The 2nd drum should make a large difference in the performance of your forge, and can be easily removed when you finish forging and put things away.

The one drum is a 55 Forge, the 2nd drum is called a Supercharger for a reason (grin).

Thanks Glenn, I must confess the idea for the artwork comes from Lorelei Sims' book, she has a similar face on her forge. Thanks for tip about the drum, I'll give it a go, but my first priority is to install a damper, instead of turning off the motor all the time.( I'm using more coke than a power station at the moment):D