I Forge Iron

Rounding hammer by another name?

ChrisB

Maybe not but it wouldn't take long on the belt grinder to give it a domed face. I could polish the whole thing up to the handle so the farriers would covet it. Farriers seem to like shiny tools for some reason.

I really like Estwing. I don't know why but I sure do.

Wonder what one costs?

Frosty

$38 from grainger that has free shipping for orders over $50 this month. Estwing also makes a 2.5lb cross pien. I've grown up with Estwing framing hammers in my hand. I can remember when I was 7 sitting on a jobsite with my dad and him showing me how to make a bench to sit on and eat lunch with wood from the scrap pile.

I go on a church misson trip with high school teenagers every summer to work on homes in Appalachia. The kids always think its cute to bring some joke of a hammer that they swiped from moms junk drawer or dad gives them the hammer he kinda wants to never come back home. After day one and "hammering 101" the kids realize Mr. Chris's hammer (Estwing) is much easier on the hand and drives nails faster than what they brought. After that I have to fight to use my own hammer. I finally bought a spare just so I have a better chance of getting one to use.

Edited by ChrisB
typo

Looks like they still do Hollis.

Who cares what category someone in marketing sticks a thing . . . Oh wait, maybe the folk who want to sell a thing would like other folk to be able to find it?

Think they'd listen if we told them?

Frosty

At the local shoeing school those were used as loaners for all new students and they used them until they could strike well enough to purchase their own hammers. No one bought one like them and from the early 70s until recently I dont believe one ever came up missing.