I Forge Iron

Advice on a table-less anvil please.

I tried a search for this but with so many results for anvil table I hope you will forgive me if it has already been asked and answered, but:

I have seen an anvil for sale with no table between the face and the horn/bick.

So far I understand that the original idea for the table was to have somewhere on which to use a chisel without damaging the face - but it seems that using a soft plate on the face is is now a more popular practice.

Are there any other uses for the table? Am I going to regret spending my pennies on one that does not have one?

Thanks.
Bob

Edited by Bob JS
Inability to construct sentences!

Bob, I own two anvils: a 170# Old World German Pattern with no cutting table and a 100# TFS in a traditional London Pattern with the cutting table. I ALWAYS use a cutting saddle. It is much easier to use a hold down to anchor the hot iron onto the face of the anvil and cut onto the cutting saddle. Both my anvils are free from nasty hot chisel wounds.

I am a combination of Quenchcrack and arftist. I have a very traditional London pattern anvil with a step. I use that when I want to put a shoulder on something and it is, undeniably, useful for that. My other anvil is a two horn one which is ultra modern. That has no step. If I am using that one I don't miss the step. It is easy to work around not having one. If the anvil is a good buy then get it by all means. If you want a step just weld a hardie shank onto a piece of very moderately plate and use that.

I never cut on the cutting shelf. I have a cutting plate to do that on. If I am likely to be doing a lot I move the big ASO close to my anvil and cut on that.

I think the reason for the horn/face step is that the face was traditionally a piece of steel welded onto one or more soft iron pieces making up the body, horn(s) etc. It being a convenient place for cutting is another matter entirely. It can also be used in forging upsets, bending and straightening pieces.

Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like having no table is not a big deal, that its main advantages would be providing a variety of shapes and edges - which could also be found on junk steel, or made as hardy tools.

Question for Philip: How is the step particularly usefull for making shoulders - in comparison to all the other edges on the anvil?

Btw the anvil is maybe 30'' long - didnt think to measure. We guessed around 2 1/2cwt (only because it was a bit smaller than the one we guessed to be 3cwt :rolleyes:)

Definitly not a cast body, with what looked like a small ledge along the front and back of the feet, and two visible handling holes - Peter wright?

The make doesn't really bother me, but It would make it easier for me to google and compare and find out a bit more about it.

I was shown how to hold round stock (where the table meets the face) for punching/marking etc. so have found the London pattern with table quite a useful shape. I'm sure you'll soon get used to whatever you get though and find your own way of doing things!

is is at all common for an anvil not to have the table/shelf/step? - on an otherwise typical london pattern

Im starting to wonder whether I just missed it. Wont go into details here but I didnt get a good look at the anvil but more of a grope as is was burried under things - I didnt feel the table but my hand might have just slid over it if it had worn edges.

I wasnt there to view the anvil, but might go back soon for a better look.

Just wondering because I cant find a pic of a similar anvil with not table.