I Forge Iron

making an adz from a ripping or brick hammer?

Has anyone made a sculptors' adz from either a carpenters ripping (straight claw) hammer or a brick masons hammer? how to do it and which type of hammer to use. I create wood bowls and an adz would be real handy. The new one available do not fit my hands, to big in the head and handle, handle to long, too heavy etc.

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest that you pick up this book.

Tool Making For Woodworkers
By Ray Larsen
ISBN: 0-9643999-8-9

Mr. Larsen talks specifically about how to make an adze in that book. I bought it when I went to Old Sturbridge Village. Great book tons of information about tool making and blacksmithing in general. I paid about $23.00 US for it a few years ago.

Best,

Archiphile

I have ...I used a hammer with a broken claw . I cut the other claw off and hammered the pole end to make a bowl adz. the brick mason hammer I found at a flea market the blade was broken ...I just had to sharpen it to use it holds a good edge...have you looked a Alexander Weygers books"The Modern Blacksmith", The Making of Tools" and the Recycling of Tools" i think there all in one book now. anyway a lot of good iformation

Edited by jimbob

Well 2 things... If the handle isn't right.. you can make your own, its the first thing I do with m yhammers after a test drive to make sure its worth it,

aand the is a place called "wood butcher tools", it in Maine, good bunch, they sell tools for and teach timber framing,
heres the url for their store
Shopping at Shelter Institute

just a suggestion, I also think their gear is made in USA whenever possible

I have made a number of small or bowl adzes from claw hammers. They work well. The big concern when making an adze is that square tapered eye hole. A claw hammer already has that.

Start with a forged hammer head, not cast.
I cut the claws off with the chop saw, and grind/sand smooth/flush.

Then I hammer the head out into the blade shape I want. As I hammer it out, I try to work/shift the mass towards the top of the original hammer head - instead of centered on it. Then I gently curve the blade in-line with the top of the hammer head. That curve needs to ... flow ... in the arc you will be using it. Then true up the eye, and true up the shape of your new blade.

You can play at heat-treating the blade if you wish. Because of the quality of the steel, they tend to hold up well in use even if you air-cool them. But a little heat-treating can't hurt much.

Also keep in mind the length of handle you will be using when you ... curve ... the top of the adze - to the arc you will be swinging it in.

Just my experience to share.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' german blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I have visited Wood Butcher Tools and tried out the carving adzs that they have in stock (Swedish - Grunfors?? spelling) good tools but the heft, balance and handle were all wrong for me. I have small hands for a man. A barrel makers adz might be the correct toll for me if I could find to try?? Just another idea.

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are cutting the claws off and using the hammer head for the adze, why would it matter what style hammer it is? Wouldn't a reshaped ball peen work as well? Just curious...

I guess that would be a better question. Why would it need to be rectangle as long as its not tear drop like a hatchet or axe eye? At my old job I was given a new ball peen to replace a hammer that had a broken handle. This new one had a rectanle eye like a carpenters claw hammer. I had never seen a ballpeen with anything but an oval shaped eye but thats what got me to wondering. Thanks for putting up with me :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are cutting the claws off and using the hammer head for the adze, why would it matter what style hammer it is? Wouldn't a reshaped ball peen work as well? Just curious...

Maybe the reason is to stay within the look of a full size adz, most all the old adz tools I have seen all have a rectangular eye.

The only reason I say this is because I thought the same thing when I read this thread earlier, which got me to thinking about adzes I have seen in the past.

Not to say an oval hole wouldn't work......

There's a picture of a couple of adzes I made for bowl and trencher making in the gallery at "Jerry Carroll". One is from a Dodge torsion bar and the other is chevy nova flat spring. It's surprising how well the flat spring adze works--I've made several different sizes--not having to punch an eye makes it a lot easier to make.

• 4 weeks later...

The main reason to use the claw hammer head is that ready-made eye. No punching/drifting. And it is also already sized for many standard wood handles. If you go with a small enough diameter wood handle, you can slip it through the eye for a wedge fit - like on a classic tomahawk or a classic full-sized adze handle. But that would be a pretty thin handle. So I usually just pick up a new wooden claw hammer handle, and then reshape it to fit my hands.

With a ballpeen hammer, you could always drift the eye if you wanted to. But I tend to use my ballpeen hammers for making other tooling punches, chisels, cutters, flatters, etc.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Welcome aboard Old Yankee guy, glad to have ya.

Inspiring questions are a joy, you've got lots of the kids playing nice. It's good for em you know. :rolleyes:

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also, if local folk know you're around they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty