I Forge Iron

new forge rising

PICKETTR

I first found this site a few months ago and have been lurking in the shadows sucking up knowledge. I have finally began construction of the forge at the historic farm where I volunteer (Rural Hill - Center of Scottish Heritage). I only have a few weekends left before the Scottish Festival/Highland Games in mid April, so I have to get hopping. I am basing the forge design loosely on the forges at Williamsburg and Jamestown. It will be rock/masonry construction, bottom-blast and side draft chimney. I won't get the chimney constructed before the games, but at least it should be functional (good thing it is still open on 3 sides!). I built the bellows using BP0141 as a guide. I ended up using canvas (no bucks for leather) but I did have to seal the canvas. i have photos that i uploaded into the gallery and will try to attach them....

12675.attach

12676.attach

12677.attach

12678.attach

12679.attach

12680.attach

12681.attach

Nice looking set up! I was in south California over xmas break and stumbled into a state park run facility in an old towne historic district. When I walked up, the smith pumped the bellows up, and went to heating and forging. I noticed he was burning coke in the bellow forge, and the flame was bubbling after the bellows had collapsed. I asked him about the situation, he confessed the bellows were a put-on, and he had an electric blower hidden underneath to keep the fire going... I'm sure I was most likely the only person that noticed for months, but I felt bad for the guy. I don't think that would fly for more than a morning in your neck of the woods. I wish you a great season, keep it hot.

OTHER THAN THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED BY LURKING AND READING, I ONLY HAVE MORAL SUPPORT. UNFORTUNATELY, MY SCHEDULE DOES NOT GIVE ME A LOT A FREE TIME TO GO TO ANY MEETINGS OF A FEW BLACKSMITH CLUBS I HAVE FOUND IN MY AREA. FORTUNATELY, THERE WILL BE A LONG-TIME BLACKSMITH AT THE GAMES IN A FEW WEEKS AND I HAVE SCHEDULED SOME VACATION TIME THEN (PROVIDED MY COMPANY DOES NOT GO ON STRIKE!:o)