I Forge Iron

where to get coal in florida

ok people, im just starting out and am trying to get as much of my building of my forge and such done during this drought. I need to know if there is a place in florida where i can get coal or coke, and if so where is it? and i wonder if charcoal is burn hot enough to get steel up to a good yellow/ white heat. Also any advice is welcome.

Natural charcoal will get you to welding heat easy. You may want to consider reading the Corn forge thread that was recently discussed. Natural charcoal is going to be the easiest to procure. Most wally-world and big box home repair places that sell grilling stuff have natural charcoal. My local True Value stocks natural charcoal year round. I picked up a 20lb bag of Cowboy brand last night, however thats for my Big Green Egg.

Junker let us know where you are. Here is an ad from the Clinker Breaker which is the newsletter for the Florida Artist Blacksmith Association. You can get coal in Barberville.

BLACKSMITH COAL
$35 per 100 lb bag (Pickup only) & details - Pioneer Settlement,
contact the Settlement at 386-749-3353 (direct line to Gudrun
in bookkeeping) or mail your order with payment to PSCA/
COAL, P.O. Box 6, Barberville, FL 32105. Accepted forms of
payment: cash, money orders, checks, MasterCard and Vis

im in seminole county, and thanks for all the responses guys,... it's a big help. although i won't be buying the charcoal when i can so redily and easily make it myself. seeing as i live in the middle of the woods. any advice on anything else would be much apreciated. also wonder if my makeshift anvil from 1/4in I- beam with 1/2in plate welded on top is workable