I Forge Iron

Need advice concerning ECD event

FieryFurnace

At least I think it's called ECD. (English Country Dance)
My sister is on a homechool forum thing and a lot of the people from the forum are going to an ECD ball in Nashville TN. this Saturday. She wants to go and so I'm going too. (If everything works out and we end up going) I'm sure somebody on here knows more about that than I do. What would be proper to wear? I have an 1800's double breasted gentlemans sack coat that I know I could wear. I have a gray, fine leather vest, grey wool trousers, blue broad cloth trousers, tan coarse cotten trousers, and a green colonial formal undershirt. (I.E ruffles and stiff colar) Other than that I just have dress pants. Somebody help me out here!?
Thoughts???
Thanks!!!
Dave

My sister figured out that it is rather informal and has no set time period. Most of last years attendance were dressed in Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes. Some attempted colonial dress. (Like one guy rolled dress pants to the inside and duck taped knee socks above the pants! OUCH!;)) I do have some knee breeches but I do not have any socks yet.
What about hats? I like hats.

We went to the ECD event this past weekend. It was simply beyond expectation! Friday evening was a folk dance with a mixture of Contra and English Country dancing. Mostly Contra! Saturday morning was a practice session of about 2 hrs. and then an afternoon session of another two hours. They all went very well; there seemed to be one dance each time that I just could not do! Saturday evening, everyone got dressed up in, primarily colonial dress, and we had about three hours of ECD. I have pictures, but my sister has the camera that has the pictures, and she is in Tennessee again today. :mad: She'll be back tomorrow.
I was surprised at the similarities between Contra, EC and CW dancing. The ECD is by far the most complicated, Contra comes in second ,and CW is the easiest. However the steps and turns used in CW are the same but they are done in a different, much more complicated manner. The terms used to desribe the steps are different in some instances too.
During the weekend, I tried to pair up with people who knew what they were doing, and most of them complimented on how quick I cought on. Wether they were just saying that, or they really meant it is for you to decide!;)
I'll have full details on my blog ASAP.
Thoughts???
Dave