I Forge Iron

If I had a Hammer (Apologies to PP &M)

Having just read Hammerkids thread on making his first hammer got me to thinking about hammers for myself for when I get my forge built.

Question 1. Is it feasible/practical to use sledge hammer heads to re-work into smithing hammers?

Question 2. If so, what preparation would be needed before forging and after?

Question 3. If the answer to Q1 is no, what kind of other recyclable material would need to follow me home that would be the appropriate kind of steel for hammers?

I generally get access to all kinds of mild steel but more exotic stuff would be a greater challenge.

Thanks,
Mick

PS If you haven't already please take a look at the Victorian Bush fire tree project thread.

Mick,
I'm sure you can come up with what they call here in the states a "drill hammer" or what mason's and I call a "lump ammer". Basicly a 2 to 3# short handled sledge hammer.

Taking a big hammer head and making it smaller with little to no tools is tough piece o work. Don't want you to get frustrated before you start having fun...

Thanks for your concern Fe. Fortunately at my age I am under no illusion as to the toughness of the job. I already have a few 'lump ammers' or 'mash hammer' as I call them, that have managed to follow me home. They will be the starting point for hammering.
Unfortunately in Australia, old blacksmithing tools are rarer than rocking horse do-do and fetch outrageous prices when they do come up.
My questions are more related to determining the suitability of sledge heads as a suitable material, or wether there is an alternative, with the view to start having such stuff follow me home. I do tend to hoard stuff with a long term view and a great deal of the materials and resources I will be using to create my smithy have been accumulated over the last twenty years. Surprisingly with no prior plan for the final usage other than "that's too good to be thrown out / or not accepted gracefully" when offered.

G'day Mick...........you can take any 2 - 4 lb hammer and easily reform it into a blacksmith hammer either by forging it to shape or by stock removal with a grinder/sander/flap disk. Once it is to the desired shape, heat to nonmagnetic, quench, then reheat to let the colors run to the ends......just as purple creeps around the faces fully quench. Then rehandle it and clean it up. For most hammers found in stores, flea markets, etc, a water quench would be fine.

Making a hammer from the start is a very simple matter with a little bit of Knowledge. I forge alot of hammers and top tools using 4140 that I get from a suspension shop for free. They have drops that come annealed in sizes ranging from 2" to 5/8" and everything in between. I'd rather be working with 1045 because it yields to the hammer easier. We make 3# and under hammers by hand with a striker in less than an hour. Tom Clark could make 3 hammers in 1/2 hour with a gas forge and power hammer. The grinding, heat treating and handling take alot more time. My brother did take a 20# China sledge and cut it down so it was shorter to make it into a 15 pounder. He just annealed it and cut it with a band saw. Alot of those hammers out there are made from 1045.

Sure, reworking existing hammer heads is fine, follow above advise.

Old truck axles are a good source for hammer stock. This is my first hammer, a square bodied turning hammer, made from a Ford pickup truck axle.

I tempered it by heating the drift to high orange and putting it in the eye and letting the colors run to the faces. It took several applications of the drift to do the trick but it worked well. I should've stopped the temper a little sooner but it's working fine as is.

Frosty

12549.attach

12550.attach

12551.attach

12552.attach

Thank you gentlemen, just the information I needed. Some of the sledges coming my way are from the incredibly wasteful coal mining industry. It makes my heart weep to see some of the stuff that they discard and the general wastefulness of their workforce.

My ute (read sedan based pickup) will be dragging its bum when I go back to Victoria in a couple of weeks with all the "foundlings" I have acquired over the last 3 months. Sadly I will be leaving this treasure trove with but a trifling amount of good stuff.

Thanks Ian, I just lost myself for an hour browsing through Alan's site, should be in bed for my usual 4.30am start. Unfortunately I am 250 km west of Mackay and about 1300 km north of Alan's smithy.
Will be heading home in another 24 sleeps, not that I'm counting and already have a full load, or willhave buy the time time Julie flies up to join me for the trip.
Bowral is not too far from Traralgon though and we might be able to catch up one day.

Mick.