I Forge Iron

First try Dragon

Well last week I got the coal forge together as noted in my last thread. After doing more tapers and twists I wanted to see what was involved in doing a horse head or dragon. Though I didn't really get either I sure learned a lot on my first try. This was 3/4 X 1 1/4 colled rolled. I am happy with it but I need to make a few more punches and chisels to get detail and I think a carving block to support it like is described on anvil-fire would help alot.
It was very hard to keep it in line when punching and chiseling. Does everyone doing this use a carving block of some kind to put within the vise to hold it?
Dick

12455.attach

12456.attach

Not bad at all. Better than my first dragon's head for sure.

Before I made a carving block I laid it in the angle between the face and step and directed the force at the face. It worked okay is about all I can say though.

Frosty

I've never used a carving block, and I do alot of different animal heads. I use my post vice to hold and back my work before I forge the neck. My vice is mounted on a tripod stand and anchored to the floor so it doesn't move, just like my anvil.
I'm including a picture of the punches I use for the eyes and nose, and a curved chisel for the ears. If you'll notice they started as square punches except for the biggest eye and the curved chisel. The noses are made by filing two of the corners so I'm left with a cresent shape. The other two corners are left so I can tell how my punch is oriented. The eyes are made by driving a bob punch in then filing two corners and leaving the other two for the same reason.

12462.attach

Thanks to all for the kind words and advise ! I'll be sure to post my next one as well, hope it's better. :)

Frosty, I'll try that next time. It was to long to do that with this one. I didn't cut it because I don't have tongs big enough for 3/4" stock yet. Another exercise I need to do some of, Tong building.

Brian , Thanks for the photo of your punches and chisels, that will help for sure. If I can get half as good as the work you have posted I will be thrilled !

Dick