I Forge Iron

First project

Sorry, no picture... Since building my forge, I have been reading and reading all the lessons and forums. I have also been working on the suggested hammering technique, forge fire management, and metal temperatures, and the differences in how they handle at the different temperatures.

To actually work towards something, I used a piece of rebar (crappy, but all I had available at the time) and tried using the techniques. I finished up making a "letter opener." It really looks rough. I still need to manage scale better, and keep working on my hammer control. But I am quite pleased with myself. :D

I just wanted to post and let everyone know. Not too many people here really interested in what I have to say about it. And especially don't get excited like I do.

Congrats!!!

Feels great to finish your first real project doesn't it?? I was just as excited when I finished my first piece. The best way to improve is practice, practice, practice!

And if you can get pics, I'm sure everyone would love to see em.:)

Adam

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I started with a forge I built out of a brake drum. My brother then gave me a plow disk. That works much better. I just replaced the flange and drum with the disk and a flange welded to it. Then, my grandfather heard I was doing this and pulled out a very old anvil he had and gave it to me. Very lucky me. My setup is awesome for a beginner. If I can get pictures, I will post those too.

Congratulations! It feels pretty good to make that first project. Gets the blood to pumpin and makes a feller wanna do more! Take a picture of it if you can and post it. We love pictures, ESPECIALLY of the very FIRST project someone has done. We don't want to CRITICIZE it, we just like to see it! We have all made what we consider our very first "Ugly Duckling" but it is after all THE very first thing we ever made and have gone on from there.You first learned to, roll over, crawl, then stand,walk and finally run. Same thing here.:D

Terry

Good for you Luken!

There are all kinds of ways to break into a craft/trade:

Some involve carefully orchestrated lesson plans and structured "labs" with carefully selected materials and tools. This is not a bad approach at all.

Then there is the build a fire stick a piece of whatever you just pulled out of a ditch steel/iron/? in it and beat it into some other shape on whatever you have for an anvil with whatever kind of hammer you have. This isn't a bad approach either. Goals may take longer to reach but if you pull it off you'll be able to work most anything most anywhere with most anything.

What won't get you anywhere is sitting and reading about it. Oh sure there is a huge amount of published information to be found and a person can most certainly absorb and understand it. What nobody can do by reading is learn to DO it. The only way to learn to DO it is to . . . DO it.

You're doing it. Good on ya!

You're operating under a couple false assumptions though:

First, we most certainly are interested in what you say, would love to see pictures of your work forge, shop in general. Hearing how you solve problems, improvise tools, manipulate things, etc. etc. is what this forum, heck the INTERNET is about.

We don't get excited like you? . . . Well, okay, I'll give you that one. I don't know HOW you get excited. Some folk's just salivate at the thought of building a fire and hitting things, some like myself get a far off gaze (yes, the thousand yard stare) and start rambling in language and terms only another smith would understand and care about, some folk get giddy, some folk's legs get to jumping and then there are the twitches, ticks and uncontrollable trembling.

So, okay we might not get excited just like you do but we most certainly do get excited. Why else would we put up with the noise, dirt, heavy lifting, muscle and joint pains, the burns, bruises, cuts, pokes, scrapes and in some cases broken bones and removed appendages?

Naw, you're right this stuff hardly even interests us old farts anymore. :rolleyes:

That said, tell us all about it and show us some pics!

Frosty

Ok, here is an attempt to attach pictures... I have just started out with really basic stuff. I got the anvil from my grandfather (It is pretty old. He got it from a friend when he was young). I built the forge with a friend. I am using a ball pein hammer for right now. I don't have many other tools yet, except for a pair of tongs I converted from a set of horse shoeing tongs. That was quite a task for a newb. And that is it.

I know that the craftsmanship isn't that great, but I am working on it. Oh, I forgot the other two objects are two bracelets I made for my wife. She likes the scaled look. Says it looks antique. :cool:

12398.attach

12399.attach

Hello Luken,

Nice pictures, looks like you will be well on your way.

By the way, lucky score on your Grandads old anvil, not to mention the fact that it will always mean a lot to you. (I assume as a gift from your Grandfather)

Happy Forging....

Well now> Whats wrong with those? It is an excellent start! You have learned a lot already in your first attempt. Like you said, you see how the fire works, the steel moves, hammering technique! These are ALL important first steps and you apparently have applied a lot of what you read. Good for you!
Keep practising, the more you do the more your skills improve and keep researching and asking questions. As one member here on the forum says "We can give you the answers and if we don't know, well, we can always make something up!":D
Good work and happy hammering!

Terry

LOOKS LIKE A NICE START

I wouldn't necessarily call rebar "crappy", though others here will disagree with me. I happen to have found some rebar that has suited my purposes, with enough carbon to be hardened. Of course, I have to treat it accordingly when forging, like any steel with higher than average carbon.

As for first works.... Well done!! you applied a lot that you learned .. working like a mad man Right?? just keep at it,

Besides you can now say "I have done something I wanted to do!!"

Rebar is not crappy if properly applied... just don't quench it, it tends to crack at the water line...

What are you using for a blower Luken. I like the Forge and Anvil. The anvil is a re beauty. On your pieces I like your scroll type work and the letter opener looks great for a first piece. Keep at it, as many have said here bangin away is the only way to get better at it.

The forge itself is a complete work of art. At least from the maker's point of view. I pulled down a simple outline off the internet somewhere before finding this forum and took it down to a friend of mine that had more scrap than me. We, together, improved it by mounting to an old tire with cement by welding it. Then we added the pipe sections and t-joint. Then we got the idea to put on a gas valve just for kicks. That has turned out to be quite a nice feature. The motor is from a furnace. To say the truth, I think it is a little too powerful, but with the valve... :D We decided to wire it up with a nice switch, then welded a mount to the main structure of the forge. With aluminum dryer tubing, it was pretty much finished.

The fire pot is a plow disc that we took and welded a flange to screw onto the pipe. And then we welded a grate over the air hole. You might also notice a nice swivel catch at the bottom with a spring on it. Everything was designed to be controlled from one position while standing in front of the forge. It is very nice. Maybe not as nice as some, but definitely beautiful to many... at least I think so. ;)

12435.attach

12436.attach

Edited by luken

• 5 months later...

Nice first attempt.

If someone has already said this I apologize. You said you're having trouble with 'scale management'. If you don't already have one, get you a wire brush (hand brush NOT one for an angle grinder, etc)...you can find them with the welding supplies. When you notice scale, brush it off. It will make a BIG difference in the texture of your finished pieces (it will be a little harder to tell the difference with rebar unless you're forging all of the "texture" away). If you leave the scale on it will continue to "texture" your piece...sometimes that's desirable but sometimes not. There's not a whole lot you can do to keep scale from forming in the first place...all part of the game :o)

No one one told me about brushing when I first started...that's why I wanted to share. And if you already knew this, then maybe someon else reading will learn. Keep at it!

There's not a whole lot you can do to keep scale from forming in the first place...all part of the game :o)

Actually there is. Proper fire management and control of air blast will help reduce scale to a minimum requiring very little wire brushing, keep the anvil face clean and the fire well adjusted

the scale thing takes time and observation, its easier to control running propane like i do for small pieces, and im working on a new coal forge design to help me with fire managment and efficiancy for larger pieces. your work looks really good for your first time and rebar alot of times is a rough one to work if your unfamiliar with temps and how its going to react to hammer blows. i tried working a piece of high carbon 5/8 rebar in the first few days of having my first forge set up and almost blew out my elbow because the temp i thought i had... i didnt! i couldnt use my arm for like 2 days.

keep at it... you can only get better from here.