I Forge Iron

S-7 Question

chrisfrick

I've just come across a piece of S-7 that's about 1.5" square X about 8" long and was wondering if this might be something to forge down into either a blade, or parts for laminating. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on what I could use this for? (reason I'm asking is that I got if for free).

I've never used S7, but I hear that it's hard stuff to move so unless you have one or more friends who can swing a sledge or a power-hammer you're looking at a long job. Furthermore I understand it isn't a very good blade steel but I'm not sure why.

S7 is a very good steel for tooling though, as it's both shock-resistant and somewhat hot-hard. See Frosty's suggestion; he's usually right (but don't tell him I said that)!

The reason S7 is often suggested for tooling is that it maintains a higher heat hardness for tools that get burried into hot metal, so hot cuts, punches, butchers, deep fullering tools etc would profit the most from it. Hitting hot metal is not much of a shock; medium carbon steel work fine for hammers.

I'd make punches, drifts or hot chisels from it.

Frosty

Good call
S7 is one of the toughest tool steels by a large margin.
It really doesnt wear good as a cutting tool but it has massive strength properties.

We use it in some rare applications when a tough stamp is needed to mark semi hard and tough materials.

We usally spec the heat treat at hardnesses 55/57 HRC for stapms which are the same as chiles or punches.

Warnning, you must draw back (heat the hammer end with a torch for 38/42 Rc so it doesn't splinter or crack when you strike it)

Basic specs
FORGING: Heat to 1950/2050