Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'electrolysis'.
Found 3 results
Hopefully will be starting to build a electrolysis tank large enough to fit this Reed 108 in tonight. Looking froward to getting all 300lbs of this vise cleaned up, painted and restored. Haven't done one this big yet. Should be fun to see how it turns out.
Hello all, I was reading the forum the other day and stumbled onto a thread talking about removing rust from tools. This thread was specifically talking about a small anvil. Various methods were discussed and I mentioned electrolysis for rust removal. I have personally used this method many times and it works great. It will also take off old paint and other impurities from the surface down to bare metal. There are many good links on YouTube that demonstrates what to do. One of my favorite designs is in this link. Hope this helps someone some time. Thanks all for reading.
Hey all, I finally found my first anvil! I wanted to share my new toy with all of you (visually B) ) and give you some before and after pics. It's a Mousehole, marked at 125# (1-0-13) but my bathroom scale measured a bit over 119#. I got it for $150 via C-list. Based on the ABANA forum it's from the early to mid 1800's. You can just barely read: "..........AGE ....USE HOLE" My wife and I have had many laughs over the implications of an 'age use hole.' Anyway, this is what it looked like when I bought it. As you can see, it was pretty ugly. It had about 5 different shades of spray paint on it, black, orange, silver... yuck. There was also some thick stuff glooped on the the horn which seemed impenetrable. You could barely see 'HOLE' through the orange. I had a National Guard drill this weekend, so I used the anvil as an excuse to buy an inexpensive battery charger and set up a simple electrolytic rust removal station If I'd had more time I would have found more materials and made a better setup, but this worked quite well. It zapped for 2 days and after a rinse and a scrub: I gave it a good massage with a generous helping of linseed oil, and it stands ready to be used. It has a slight sway back, but I've read from a lot of you that a sway can be beneficial, so I will leave it alone. Aside from that, the only real flaws are a very slight mushrooming on the edges and a good size chip on the step behind the horn. There's also no pritchel hole, but I'm assuming I can improvise something for punches. A friend of mine is going to give me a stump that I will set it into. I need to come up with a small forge set-up, so if anyone has ideas, feel free to shoot. Here's more pics!