I Forge Iron

Where do you buy your stock

Hey all!   I've been looking locally for some metal stock and unfortunately of the numerous places I've called here in Fort Smith, Arkansas none of them have tool steels or I'm ignorant as to what I should be asking for. So I'm not turning to online sources and to purchase some online. Does anyone have experience with online ordering or recommendations for good companies?

Thanks,

Jacob

In my area of CT  there are a number of Tool & Die companies that use a lot of tool steel.  If you see one or can find one in your area stop and ask where they get it from.  In the shop I worked in for a while they ordered small lots for a job or two at a time.  It is not cheap I know that much.  When we shut down & cleaned out the shop a couple yrs. ago I latched onto all the pieces that were kicking around, now if I could find where I packed them to move I'd be happy or maybe happier!

Oddly enough, Amazon can be a good source for tool steel.  I needed a piece of 4140 for the second time, to make some more dies for my guillotine tool.  Previously I had bought it from Speedy Metals which is a perfectly acceptable source.  Amazon had it for about 20% less than I had paid at Speedy, after shipping was figured in.  

Thanks for all the help! I finally got fed up with trying to make my own belt grinder so I bought one and got it all setup. Now I'm looking at some small projects to work towards like kitchen knives and maybe a straight razor. So hopefully before long I'll have some pictures coming up of some projects!