I Forge Iron

It's always strange to watch a left handed smith. You did a good job to be able to teach them that quickly.

Littleblacksmith

4 hours ago, natenaaron said:

This is the type of craft show I like.  No BS drama. No stupid soundtrack.  Just them working and talking about what they are doing.  Good job.

I completely agree.

Littleblacksmith

I like the non-commercial aspects of a lot of the Beeb. That's the difference though, it's not commercial television, it's a government entity supported by a charge/fee/? to watch. I'm not familiar with it specifically but I believe you must pay a fee or tax to be able to watch Television legally.

Without having to support itself it can do things not directed by marketers.

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

I like the non-commercial aspects of a lot of the Beeb. That's the difference though, it's not commercial television, it's a government entity supported by a charge/fee/? to watch. I'm not familiar with it specifically but I believe you must pay a fee or tax to be able to watch Television legally.

Without having to support itself it can do things not directed by marketers.

Frosty The Lucky.

This was not made for the Beeb, it's RTE, which is halfway between a commercial station and what the BBC was. A bit like Channel 4 in the UK.

It is, it's a good program. I know of another Mastercraft with a blacksmithing segment, I've watched it even on PBS once but don't know which episode or where. I haven't looked in a while IIRC there was a membership requirement I wasn't into. IIRC that episode someone made a gate or perhaps that was the challenge.

All in all "Mastercraft" a perfect example of why we recommend new comers get hooked up with experienced smiths, join the local club even bribe individuals with beer and BBQ if necessary. These contestants went from folk who didn't know how to swig a hammer to producing some excellent work in 3 days.

This is good for the experienced guys to watch too, how many beginner mistakes did you see first episode? I pegged the one gal who was flailing away at the stock with great enthusiasm and determination as not being able to move her arm that night maybe dropping out on a medical. I was a little disappointed the shop master didn't show her how to swing a hammer properly but watching him I realized that's how HE swung a hammer. We have a fellow in our club with a shoulder that has him about retired because of damage. When he demos he talks a lot about tilting the anvil away and such tricks when all he really needed was to swing the hammer differently when he learned.

Anyway, I love Mastercraft, excellent program. It's be nice if American TV had something to compete or even compare.

Frosty The Lucky.

40 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Anyway, I love Mastercraft, excellent program. It's be nice if American TV had something to compete or even compare.

Never happen.  No sex, no voting someone off, and most of all no commercials.

Another mastercraft with 4 parts.  Equally well done IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 7:15 PM, Frosty said:

It is, it's a good program. I know of another Mastercraft with a blacksmithing segment, I've watched it even on PBS once but don't know which episode or where. I haven't looked in a while IIRC there was a membership requirement I wasn't into. IIRC that episode someone made a gate or perhaps that was the challenge.

All in all "Mastercraft" a perfect example of why we recommend new comers get hooked up with experienced smiths, join the local club even bribe individuals with beer and BBQ if necessary. These contestants went from folk who didn't know how to swig a hammer to producing some excellent work in 3 days.

This is good for the experienced guys to watch too, how many beginner mistakes did you see first episode? I pegged the one gal who was flailing away at the stock with great enthusiasm and determination as not being able to move her arm that night maybe dropping out on a medical. I was a little disappointed the shop master didn't show her how to swing a hammer properly but watching him I realized that's how HE swung a hammer. We have a fellow in our club with a shoulder that has him about retired because of damage. When he demos he talks a lot about tilting the anvil away and such tricks when all he really needed was to swing the hammer differently when he learned.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty your the first person who's ever had a problem with my swing. If you have ever taught groups you'll know there is always one person who thinks that can do it better. The best way to deal with it is to let them go at it. When they see others getting better results with less effort, then they start paying attention to what you are teaching them. This was one of those cases. But I'm happy to say she came around by the end of the first week and is still forging today.