I Forge Iron

Shortening a coil spring

Almost all of these types of springs (garage door springs etc) are heat treated in the straight form then rolled into a spring cold.  If you need to pull a new eye out of the end it must be done cold.  Using brute force is the best way I've found of doing this.  Getting the eye hot will surely result in what has already been described, it will eventually break again.

If you try to re heat treat the entire spring that does not work either as the spring has then lost its "tension".  Try it and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Phil

Thanks JHCC, I do come up with one, every once in a while......he he, Maybe I'll just use it for a small drift and a punch or two.

Forgemaster, I did have just a bit of knowledge on this, but not near enough to be sure of the results. Thanks for the confirmation. Sometimes I know just enough to fail.....        Dave

Just a final update on this. I got a chance to use the plow yesterday, and the spring worked as it should. As some of you already figured, no breaking, no cracking, and no stretching.    Thanks again       Life is good              Dave