I Forge Iron

New member with a new(to me) Sheffield made anvil, help?

Hello everyone... today I required an anvil and I was hoping I could get some help properly identifying it and putting a date to it. There are some markings on it, but I just dont know enough to tie them all together.  The fellow I purchased it from said the 195 indicated the weight. Upon further digging I found that "139" on the english anvil weight formula says it should be 196lbs. It also says Sheffield on it and has some other letters and numbers im not exactly certain the meaning of. Let me know what you think.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by ZS

Welcome aboard ZS, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I can't help with date or manufacturer though Sheffield are a known make. I'm a lot less interested in age and make than I am in condition and utility. She appears to be in fine shape, almost pristine. Have you done a rebound test on it?

Nice score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, she's in good shape I think, there are a couple thin line cracks that kinda concern me. But as far as a rebound test, meaning a hammer drop? Did that and it bounced back very nicely, at least back to the drop point, used a 3lb bp.

1 x 112 

3 x 28 

= 205lbs 

Sometimes the marked weight can be a little off, 196lbs is perfectly feasible. Unless of course 139 is the weight in lbs though I think only one or two British makers did that. - Assuming it says "Sykes" - it isn't a company I've heard of before, but there were hundreds of British makers back in the day. 

Andy

112  + 84 + 9 = 205

That's how it's calculated AFAIK. 

Awesome, thanks guys... For the weight, I just was going with what the calculator i found said, obviously wrong. I'll do some more digging, would really love to find out with certainty what it is and when it was made.