I Forge Iron

Possible new post vice... need advice and input

Du7ch

Gentlemen!

Browsing through wares back in my home area in preparation for my visit back next month, I've stumbled upon a post vise for sale.

A few things caught my eye on this. The price in my opinion is slightly high at $145, however I have barely stepped down the path of blacksmithing and therefore haven't the experience on knowledge on the pricing.

I see the crack in the post but feel that it would possibly be worth the effort, as I've seen worse repaired fairly easily.

I notice a lack of a spring, which isn't horrible as I know someone who could help fabricate one fairly easily. BUT I'm not entirely sure this vise is supposed to have the spring. I'm attaching the few pictures I have and will be sitting by waiting for the advice and 2 cents from those more knowledgeable.

post-57269-0-00317600-1416769364_thumb.j

post-57269-0-69546100-1416769387_thumb.j

What is the width of the jaws? What shape are the jaws in? Are the jaws aligned reasonably?

The crack in the leg can be ground out and welded. It's only load is when you are hammering from the top, down.

I forgot, it's an Antique!!!! It must be worth much more than that!!!!  NOT!!!

Offer $40-60, be prepared to walk away, unless you have to have it and everything else is perfect.

You can make a spring with either a piece of flat bar or a piece of leaf spring. They don't need much spring, to open the jaws.

You will probably have to make a better mounting bracket.

Thomas, I'll be heading to Idaho toward the end of December for the holidays and hope to actually lay eyes on. I also intend to use TPAAT while in my home area.

I have your number, I may just call you directly should I find anything worth while.

Sure no problem! Hopefully you don't feel the need to bring down any RR rail...

I plan to be putting the last bit of ridge cap on my smithy tomorrow morning. I decided I didn't need the ventilation, the 10'x10' roll up door and the open gables are enough and the bar of sunlight hitting your eyes when you crossed the shop floor was a pain.