I Forge Iron

Found an Atlas 64Drill Press

A buddy found this big Atlas Drill Press on craigslist, alerted me by text and even dropped it off.

Big beast, close to 200 lbs, had to reconstruct the space in the shop to hold the weight and lower the surface so the 4 foot tall "benchtop" press wouldn't hit the ceiling!

Not sure of the year it was made. Clausing Inc. emailed a .pdf manual dated 1947.  Came with a drawerful of vises,  bits and a few other things I can't ID just yet (Ralmike's Tool-A-Rama? anyone?)

and a keyless chuck marked Albrecht/Germany.

The rework of the shopspace took half the weekend, the pondering on how to get this beast on the benchtop without significant personal injury took another hour (leverage is our friend!)

It runs smooth, silent and I'm pretty sure I don't deserve this,

$75 all told.   Grinning for a few days now.

post-182-0-07934900-1396639758_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-11578900-1396639786_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-01449100-1396639818_thumb.jpg

Michael, nice looking drill press. What is the grey arm mounted mid-column? Work Clamp?  Albrecht makes top of the line high precision chucks. Looks like a 5C collet block on upper right-hand corner of the table.

I have an Atlas table saw with a very similar-looking name plate. It is Good Iron.

I think the guilt of scoring will go away soon enough,

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58

That's a very good friend you have.  I don't know anyone that would buy something for me and bring it over!  You are a very lucky fellow.

Nice drill, too.  I'd love to have a bench-top model like that.  You just can't get better drills nowadays.