I Forge Iron

My first small flatter

Hi, this is the result of my afternoon forging. A small flatter made of 1 inch mild steel square bar. It's been a long time since I wanted to buy a flatter, but I was checking my scrap pieces and said, why not forge one myself? I'll be even more proud of me than buying one. It took me 2 hours alone. I started by upsetting the face to 1 3/4", put a neck with a pair of tongs as a fuller ( I don't have many tools...), slit and drifted the hole and then cut the piece from the parent stock and hammered down the end to shape. The hole is a little bit offcenter but not too much. It will do the job very fine. This is my first big slit and drift so I won't put too much stress on my shoulder. The next one will be better. I didn't forge welded a high carbon piece on the face because I don't plan to use it a lot. I'll see with use if I won't weld one, it's not too late. Now I just need to put a handle on that little baby. Let me know what you think and if there is another way to forge this type of tool. My next project is a top swage for rounding tenons.

John_zXz

post-9026-0-80946100-1340133862_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-01697300-1340133872_thumb.jp

not bad at all, though 1045 would have been a better material choice as it will hold up a bit better. Mild should be OK though for occassional use so long as you don't wallop the heck out of it. Watch for mushrooming on the struck end, and make sure you grind or forge it off before it gets dangerous.