I Forge Iron

some advice

bobjohnson

Hi, I live down in South Australia and have just bought my first anvil, the biggest Hay-Budden I could find and its a big one, I have also organaised a forge and a few other bits and pieces, Im a big guy - 6'3" and need some advice on the best hammer to buy as an all day all rounder, make and weight advice would be great ??.

G'Day Bob , firstly , welcome to the site ,, another AUSSIE " Bonzer "

next , dont forget ta add youse name ta this http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f8/oz-roll-call-7380/

Next , hammer , what ever YOU feel comfy with , i'm 6' 3 1/2 " & my main hammers are only 2 lb .
Not to say i don't have bigger , just find that the 2 lbs are a nice size & can swing them all day .
Some of the other on the site use 5 + lb hammers ( JPH your a better man then me :) )

If i was you , i'd start small , then if you feel you need to increase your hammer size do so

Dale Russell

Edited by Dale Russell
spelling mistake

Welcome aboard Bob, good to have ya.

Find what's comfortable for you and don't be afraid to pick hammers up at 2nd. hand stores, yard sales, etc. I pick up every ball pein I come across as they can be reshaped into many useful hammers and sets.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location folk won't have to try remembering where you are. IFI is is represented by folk from more than 50 countries and it can make a real difference what answers are meaningful depending on where you are. That and when us old farts are traveling we won't have to try remembering who's in the area if we want a snack or place to nap.

Frosty

Better to start small and work yourself up than to overdo it and damage your elbow once you've done that you *can't* work through the pain it just does more damage and complete rest for weeks to months is the only thing that helps.

I try to start forging with a fairly light hammer---800g; move up to a heavier one as needed (1.5kg to 3 kg) and taper off as I get tired. Doing it that way I can forge most of the day and the next day without feeling the strain.

Unfortunately size doesn't always mean you have the hammer muscles developed. Work them up *carefully* and then you can impress folks with your sledge slinging!

• 5 weeks later...

im 15 and 6'2" and i use a 3lb hammer all the time. it is my only hammer and i might actually go bigger, beacasue it is awful light to me. just my thoughts. thats prablably 1.5 kgs i think if that helps. but, i found a bigger hammer does not mean you can always move more steel.

Well I can't address this from the large side being 5 ' 8" and 145 pounds. But a 2 or 2.5 hammer is my favorite. If you get your heats right there isn't a need to go huge unless you are working larger stock.
Finnr