I Forge Iron

Texturing branches?

How do you texture your branches? I was thinking of making a couple for our house.
Our living room is kind of divided in two by a post/beam that runs through the middle. (Where we added on) This forms four corners, one on each end of the room, and one on either side of the post. I was thinking a branch for either side of the post and some scrolls on the ends.
Anyway, I don't realy have a "texturing" tool. The only tool I have is a chizel and a splitter. Would it look textured enough with just the hammer, leaving the tapers less rounded than normall?
Thoughts??? Thanks!!!

It all depends on how textured you want it to be. Leaving some facets leaves a more subtle texture while you could make a die with a chisel or the like for the bark texture, set up to accept round stock for a more obvious texturing. I've also heard of people using a mig welder to run some thin beads. You could also use a cutting torch of sorts to cut grooves if you wanted to. For my leaf hooks I wanted to look like a subtle branch I just left the tapers a little rougher with some facets.

Look up Blacksmith Supply on the internet and go to their web page. They have a picture of a vine texturing spring swage that gives you a bark-like look to your forging. Gives you an idea of what to do if you want to make your own or buy one. I use a large chunk of metal ( has a rounded depression lake a swage block ) that has some lines cut into it. I simply place my hot steel in it and rotate it as I hammer the metal. It comes out looking pretty much like bark on a limb. Hope this helps.

I watched a fellow make a snake, and he textured the body with one of those sheet rock hammers that has the dimples on the face. If you used one of those then smoothed it a little with your forging hammer it may have some effect. just a thought.