I Forge Iron

first pair of tongs

Old South Creations

I wanted to use a pair of blacksmith tongs in a "junk art" project and rather than ruin an old pair I thought it was about time I tried to make a pair myself. They're pretty cruddy (that's why there's no picture) and they're pretty light weight (because functionality didn't matter) but I learned a lot from my experiment. Maybe next time they'll be "keepers"! :o)

Sorry guys, no pics. Like I said in the original post, their functionality was not important so I made them much lighter weight than I would have if I was going to actually use them (I used 3/8" round stock). I wanted a pair of "blacksmith tongs" to use in a junk art project. They are going to be the leg of a man made from junk (wrenches, shovel head, nut's & bolts, etc).

They're pretty cruddy BUT I did learn from making them. This was the first time I punched and drifted a hole rather than just drilling and it was also the first time I attempted to use a rivet.

I'll post a pic of the finished product when I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...

Made my first pair of tongs today. I'm happy with the length, feel and mechanics of them, but I didn't upset the area where the rivet is and there is too much flex because the steel is too thin. What is the best way to upset rod 3" or so from the end? I will be making another pair of scroll tongs and hopefully many other types, but I will keep these as a reminder of my first attempt.

12232.attach

Or you could start with a thicker stock and not make the area where the reins cross so large or thin. Upsetting in the center of a piece of stock is harder than doing it in the ends at least when heating it in a forge. You want the localized heat to only be about an inch and a half to two inches to minimize distortion. Mark Aspery did a nice post on upsetting the end of a bar. Go here to read it. Ask real nice and I bet he'll post something about upsetting in the middle of the stock.