I Forge Iron

Small 5160 bowie in progress

MetalMuncher

Hey guys, I've only been lurking, so I thought I'd post some pics of a knife in progress. Shes made from a leaf spring, and is currently only profiled and ground. The forging was simple enough, save for a ding I put in it with a hammer, hence the finger notch....but I think it looks ok. I never liked the over exaggerated points though, so I forged it to a sort of classic mastersmith test knife point. The handle will be ebony, with aluminium pins. I'll finish it up and post some pics. I'm gonna have to make a leather sheath though....I'm rubbish with leather...wish me luck! Thanks for looking!

11606.attach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to see how you finish it. It looks nice.

Forgive my ignorance, but why have you referred to the point as the "classic mastersmith's test" type? I don't know that much about the ABS testing system, I will never be trying for those credentials (not because they are not significant, but because I don't have enough time to develop my skill to that level).

I am working just to get credentials for my day job so I can afford to make knives.

Seriously, good knife, and info on the reason for chosen shape would be nice for me to read.

Kevin

that looks a lot like a knife I made for a raffle once, I love the design and handle of the shape. The flow and figure of the knife is awesome, too.

If you ever make a similar one bigger, I found that a dark wood with steel bolsters matches the contrasting polished bevel/rough ricasso look well.

Hello Kevin. A google image search will show why I called it an ABS mastersmith test knife. The point is not soo dramatic, it sort of "clipped" in the knife language. I know nothing of the ABS test, I have just seen many knives forged for the test, all with the same sort of point. I have done some work, and should be done soon. God bless!