I Forge Iron

Hello, from West Mansfield, Ohio

hotsteel

Just getting started into Blacksmithing, but have always admired the art. Being an automotive mechanic by trade for the past 25 years, I have a bit of experience with welding and fabricating, however, no expert by any means.
Hoping to get some good "down to earth" advice on blacksmithing here. Especially when it comes to buying tools to get started.
Having been a mechanic for several years, I've come to know and appreciate the value of a good tool.
I'm currently looking to purchase an anvil. Can anyone make any recommendations? Not wanting to mortgage the farm, but don't want a chunk of junk either. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks, and Forge-On!

I lived for 15 years in Ohio and averaged one name brand anvil per year in great shape for under US$1 a pound. You live smack dab in the middle of the blacksmith's happy hunting grounds---go out and HUNT!

Fleamarkets were especially good for tools for me; never spent over $5 for a hammer or tongs and my favorite knifemaking tongs cost me $1.50

Also The Quad-States Blacksmith Round Up held every Sept in Troy OH is *the* place to go if you don't want to hunt the tools yourself. We had a fellow from NM go out there and buy 30 anvils at one time at Quad-State.

The Indiana Blacksmith Association's conference is sooner being in June.

Also ask around at SOFA meetings; several members sell used blacksmith equipment.