I Forge Iron

cable weld

meinhoutexas

I don't know exactly what you did. One way to tell if your cable has a high carbon content is to heat the very end to non-magnetic, and quench in water. At that point, if it is high carbon cable you should be able to lay it on the anvil, tap the end with a hammer, and the fibers will break off.
What I would assume if someone told me this, is that they had heated, and , possibly worked the cable. Quenched it. Then heated a spot to enable it to be cut across a hot cut hardy. A cable (wire rope) to work as such, needs to be tough, and flexible.
What did you do, between acquiring it and cutting it??

ok so you have a 30 foot section of cable and no oxy/acet. to cut it what would you have done? Put it through your forge get an area really hot pull it back out and chop it off with a cut-off hardy! thats what i did and then stick the short section back into fire and anneal it to the point you can mess with it. the portion that was allowed to air cool fell off the stump and shattered

ok so you have a 30 foot section of cable and no oxy/acet. to cut it what would you have done?

Tape the cable off good and cut it with a side grinder with a cut off disc. Do you know what type of cable you have go a head and forge some up and see if it air hardens before you quench.

Bob