I Forge Iron

Hello from Van Buren, AR

twhditto

Hello community! I live in Arkansas and have pastor friend that has been making knives for a few years. He is getting quite good at it. I am very interested and have started the collecting of knowledge and "pieces" to start. I have got the book about the 50 dollar knife and am learning all I can before I start. Thanks for letting me join! I have done woodwork for a number of years, esp. with the lathe and exotic woods. I love working with them and hope to put both "arts" together.

Howdy; NW AR is rather richly gifted with talented knifemakers and it's not that far down to the American Bladesmith Society school down Texarkana way.

You can often find great deals on abrasives at AtoZ in Alma too! (I stop by everytime I visit kinfolk out that way---I'm a razorback out here in NM now. My father's side of the Family is from Fort Smith. My mother's side is from Cedarville and I was born in Fayetteville.)

Welcome to the gang, glad to have you.

There's plenty of blade expertise to draw from here.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location folk won't have to try remembering where you are. It makes it a lot easier to give a fellow a hand if we know where he's at.

Frosty

Welcome! Perhaps we can share some tips as I have started with the same book. The one brick forge didn't work too well for me. See my post for more info. There is a local blacksmith club (haven't joined yet myself) that meets monthly. Blacksmiths Organization of Arkansas : ABANA (Artist Blacksmith Association of North America) affiliate..

Are you using coal?